Need an honest opinion.

Ok, I ended up in the ER a few weeks ago for a stomach virus that had me dehydrated, I went hoping to either get fluids or to be told how to keep fluids down, nothing more. Now at the time I was 16 weeks pregnant and very nervous about how dehydration would affect the baby (I'm at 19 now) and the Dr on call wrote me a Rx for Loritab and sent me home. My question is, does that sound strange to anyone else? I NEVER took it because I don't want it to affect my son, and I'm pretty sure he never even looked at my chart because the first thing he tried to give me I was highly allergic to. My DH said it sounded like the Dr just thought I was an addict and wanted me gone. So does it sound strange to anyone else that a pregnant woman who wanted fluids for dehydration was given a Rx for Loritab and sent home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had the same problem when i went to the regular er for my asthama acting up when i was about 13 weeks pregnant and the doctor never once came in the room too see me he just sent in his nurse too do things and when the told me he was going to send me home they came back in too give me pills and if it wasn't for me being aware of what was going on and asking what it was i would have taken something that would have killed me cause he was too in a hurry too get me up and out of there too check my chart and see i could not have that med no matter what and when i told the girl that she went back and told him and his comment too her was too tell me too bad i had too take it and i told her or should i say screamed at her so he could hear me in the hole just cause he had a phd didn't mean he knew it all and i wasn't taken that shit and went home and called my doctor never take anything if you do not feel right about it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Sounds like he was being careless. I think the hospital needs to know about this. I would call a patient care advocate or someone and let them know.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• He was just trying to treat your pain. Give the poor doc a break.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• ok karriemarie and if someone dies because a doc is being careless and not wanting to see someone then u should give them a break? wut if it had been u? wow some people are so ignorant!- well anyways- the first thing i would have done would have been to threaten calling a lawyer for malpractice! that will get them hurrying to do wut needs to be done! i lost my first son because the idiotic hospital wouldnt listen to me about my contractions- they were inducing me and gave me cervidil and that caused me to start feeling pains that wouldnt show up on their machines- i kept telling them i was feeling pain but they were like oh well u dont know wut ur talking about next thing i know my water broke and i was pouring out blood- come to find out i had suffered a placental abruption and my son died 2 days after he was born all because a stupid doctor and nurse wouldnt pay attention to me- i think people need to speak up more!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• especially when it comes to know it all docs that are too lazy to look at a chart!
    lovelyli217

• OP here- I told my doctor about all of this, gave him the name of the other doctor, the time, all of it. I also found out that they send all records of my ER visits straight to him becuse I requested it at the begining of my pregnancy. He was upset about the Rx and I think he may be doing something about it because he does some work at the same hospital.
    Anonymous

• oh thats good! i hope he does do something!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My sister in law is pregnant, and her doctor writes her prescriptions for bad headaches and she takes them... I mean I wouldn't take them no matter what the doctor told me just because its such a strong drug, and the only thing I was told was safe was TYLONAL!!! not LORITABS!!!
    TheLaakSmith

Answer by TheLaakSmith at 8:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009