Advice

Which is the best way to figure out if your water is leaking before calling your doc for amitotic fluid test?

l

mamadubbz

Asked by mamadubbz at 9:27 AM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I think I would have skipped right to calling my midwife if I thought that was what was going on... but that's just me.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Me too
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• yeah but some doctors tell their patients to either smell it or wear a pad and see if it smells like urine or sugar, i just wanted to know someones advice who went through this .

but thanks
    mamadubbz

Comment by mamadubbz (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Can't you tell the differance between peeing. And your water broke or leaking?

Answer by louise2 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• louise2...many women at the end of pregnancy can mistake the two. It's called pregnancy incontinence and sometimes people don't realize their bladder has released urine because the baby is putting so much pressure on them.

OP - They say you should put on a pad/liner and lie down on your side for 10 minutes, stand up and if it gushes/drizzles when you stand up then it's your water.
    collegexmamix28

Answer by collegexmamix28 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I would wear a pad. After 20 min or so, smell it to see if it smells like urine. Sorry, I don't know any other way other than asking the doctor for the paper sheets to test yourself and they likely won't do that.

When your water breaks, there's little mistaking. When it's just leaking, it can be very hard to tell.

Worst case, go in and have it checked. Lots of people mistake the two.

Good luck!
    whoodathunk

Answer by whoodathunk at 12:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• what should I do? we planned this pregnancy bought fertility medication and im almost five months and he has not been been supportive
    keyerra500

Answer by keyerra500 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Keyerra, you need to post your question as an original, and provide more details, instead of tagging it onto the end of another question or you won't get the answers you are looking for.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2013