What is bi-polar & symptoms & treatment

Dar041

Asked by Dar041 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Health

• Check out what the Mayo Clinic says: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bipolar-disorder/DS00356

Answer by gdiamante at 11:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Try Google.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Before diagnosis, my friend's husband had "manias" where he'd be really up and then crash down. He'd say weird things that weren't like him. It was obvious that something was wrong mentally. That is 20 years ago. He has faithfully taken his medication and lives a completely normal, productive life!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:35 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• google is your friend. Then talk to your doctor.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• There is lots of information available via Google. There are also groups here dedicated to support. One thing I did not learn from either but through a counselor friend of mine is that there is no real "test" for bi-polar. It is diagnosed based on symptoms and the subsequent response to medications. My husband has severe anxiety and was initially diagnosed as bipolar. The symptoms are very similar, although I wouldn't call him "manic" - for him it is more of a peaceful/calm/joyful stage. The most used and most successful combination (as of several years ago) according to her was citalopram with wellbutrin. When they added Wellbutrin to the mix things became really bad. Thus, conclusion is anxiety based on his "manic" stage not really being manic and the usual medication creating rather than solving (note he is fine on citalopram alone although he is more forgetful than usual).
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• whatever you do...DO NOT take lemectil/lamotrigine. It WILL give you TERRIBLE, and I cannot stress the word TERRIBLE enough, ACNE. Disgusting, ugly and very painful acne. There is a great book called The complete idiot's guide bipolar disorder. What worked for me is figuring out my symptoms, realizing when I was having those symptoms and figuring out what triggered my cycles.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• For my DH it is a "high"(feeling happy) and then crashing,not a slow declining crash but a boom crash. Then he is sad,sucidal,.... He does not feelcertain emotions such as excitement. He is on many meds,his psychiatrist told him not being treated as a teen(his mom refused treatment) has made it worse than what it should be. He went almost 20 years untreated,once his mom denied treatment and he became of age,he denied he had a problem
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2013