Obsessive Compulsive Disorder....Advice please!

Is there anyone out there that understands what im going through?? People mention OCD about how they clean their house or how they do certain things and they laugh about it. But when you really suffer from OCD and i mean really struggle, its not funny at all. Its very difficult to deal with.

That being said, I have OCD but its not with cleaning or washing my hands. Its actually something i do with my throat and mouth over and over and its very exhausting and hard to stop. It always comes up really bad when im really stressed. I havent worked in the past 3 years, been a stay at home mom for 3 years and im just starting a new job next week and putting my kids in daycare. So my OCD is HORRIBLE right now. I woke up this morning and my whole neck and throat muscles are so sore. I have tension headaches every single day because i do these actions over and over all day long. Its also embarassing because i also do motions over and over with my mouth until it feels right and now that im stressed out, i do this "thing" more than i dont do it. Its just awful. I wish i could just STOP!!!!!!!!

Is there anyone out there who understands what im going through and can help me? I can't do this anymore! I want to take back control and not have these things be a apart of my life anymore. This is something i been struggling with since i was really little. Its moved from one thing to the next. When i was little, it started with everything had to be tight. My shoes, my belt, ponytails. And even tho it would hurt me, i had to have them as tight as i could possible get them. And i mean like im 8 years old and pulling my shoe laces so tight that they are snapping.If my feet could move in my shoes i would start bawling out of frustration. Its moved from that to other weird things like pushing on my teeth till they felt right (Weird i know but if could explain it, i probably wouldnt be doing it!) Then it moved to certain lines had to be lined up a certain way. Like the seam on my socks couldnt touch my pinky toe so i would pull them at a diagnol. The seam on my underwear had to be tight just really weird shit.
I was just hoping someone could help me. I want to fix this! Whatever it takes.

Thank you in advance and please dont poke fun.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Health

• I suffer from OCD and have several issues because of it.

1. I'm a "checker." I will leave the house, get a certain distance and turn around and check that my hair straightener is unplugged and that my garage door is down. So if I'm in a hurry (I leave for work with a 3 year old at 6am) then I'm almost always late to work because of it.

I have to ritualistically check my alarm clock each night. I check that it is set for the right time, that the volume is on high and that it's set for am not pm and I will do this 6 times over. It's due to a fear of being late to work/oversleeping.

If I use the restroom at someone else's house, I will check THREE times to be sure that I flushed the toilet...no matter how weird I look to the other person...I try to hide it but it's hard.

(to be continued)
    collegexmamix28

Answer by collegexmamix28 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• 2. I have a highly emotional form. Because I have obsessions and compulsions it affects my relationships. I will obsess over having control in the relationship and in order to maintain that control I will act compulsively and it will often push others away. I have messed up many friendships and potential romantic relationships over it.

What I had to do was 1. Seek therapy 2. Go on meds for a short period of time 3. Coach myself mentally...

The coaching part is the hardest part in my opinion. I had to train myself to realize that I didn't need to check things...that I needed to trust my intuition and that even if I forgot to do something, it wasn't life or death. I got a straightener that automatically turns off and I started to let my fiance check that I closed the garage door. I still check my alarm but I bumped it down to only 4 times...and almost went nuts and then down to 2.

(to be continued)
    collegexmamix28

Answer by collegexmamix28 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I then had to teach myself to recognize when my symptoms were affecting others around me and I had to learn to accept that I cannot control everything and that it's okay to not be in control. I had to start looking at it as something that I needed to change for myself and for others. It was hurting me and those around me and I made it my mission to stop hurting people.

It took me 2 years of putting everything into all 3 of my "strategies" to get better. But I did it.
    collegexmamix28

Answer by collegexmamix28 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• This is not something you control n your own. You need to get outside help. Call your doctor immediately, get in and get referred for help. It may require medication.

One of my son's best friends has OCD and Tourette's, which your throat thing actually sounds like. His manifests as coughing for no reason; he's scared me a few times with it because I wasn't sure if he was choking. He's on medications to control it.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Have you seen anyone for help ( doctors)
    You need to
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• collegexmamix28- Thank you so much for sharing your story! Its good to hear im not the only one. I don't at all feel like my situation is harder than yours at all, however, i feel it is different on how to fix it because it is so easily for me to do my actions because its with me everywhere i go! My obsession is what i do with my mouth and throat so i feel there is no escape! I cant walk away and go for a walk to keep from checking the stove or that the door is locked. When i go on a walk, the act and obsession is still there! i cant get away from it. Its kinda like taking a binki from a baby, but what do you do when they suck on their thumb? Its not something you can control. I dont know how to help myself :-/

gdiamante- Thank you so much for your comment! I appreciate you taking the time to read this and try to help! Im afraid to call my doctor because im afraid that what they will do to me. (to be cont.)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I don't want to be just put on medications. Im already on an antidepressant and it took me 2 years to finally be convinced to take it cuz i dont like using meds to "solve your problems" because i dont want to become dependant on meds to live life!! If temporarily i need to, so that therapy is effective, i can agree to that. But not just taking the meds, you know?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Ive never seen a doctor for this issue. Because the intensity come and goes and the only person it was hurting was me, i didnt feel it was necessary. I knew that once i wasnt as stressed and things calmed down for me, that it would eventually subside. I would still have the obsession but not as often or noticable to others.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Are you working with a doctor? That is your best avenue of help.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I deal with pretty mild issues most of the time, compared to a lot of people. When I am under very heavy stress, it gets much worse. Right before I left my last job, I kept going back to my house over and over and over to check to make sure the stove knobs were off and everything in the house was unplugged and the doors were locked. I would leave the house and double back and do it again. Sometimes I would get all the way to work and make an excuse just to drive back to check again. I was so stressed out that it got really bad before I left.
    Most of the time, it's just smaller things, like making sure several times that my iron is unplugged and the garage door is closed. I can tell I am under more stress than usual when I just have to drive around the block to make sure my garage door is still closed.
    It's never been intense enough that I felt I had to see a doctor, and the whole time, I am fully aware it's irrational.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2013