S/O..Do you think any age could constitute a midlife crisis?

To me, midlife crisis happens between the ages of 35-45, not 20...

It happened to me when I turned 40 and it was awful!

How old do you think you have to be to go through a midlife crisis?

PMSMom10

Asked by PMSMom10 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Relationships

• Wendy said it best. The age range is usually around upper 30's to 50's. No a 20 year old is NOT going to be going through one.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• The answer is in its name. Midlife crisis - by definition, happens in the middle of your life. Now granted, we don't know when we specifically will die, but the average lifespan running into the 70s & 80s, a midlife crisis happens somewhere mid to late 30s to early to mid 40s.

But I could also see one happening in the late 40s or early 50s, and I suppose it could happen for some maybe in their early 30s, if they started having children and got married really young (like teen parents) - since some midlife crises happen around empty nesting, I suppose a teen parent could then go through it earlier since they're hitting it sooner.

I don't, however, think a 20 yr old can have one. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I totally agree. 20 is far too young to have a midlife crisis. And now that ppl are living longer, I would think 40 would be the minimum age to have a midlife crisis. Also, being stupid and doing dumb things doesn't mean you are having a midlife crisis.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Definitely not 20
    like Wendy said it's when you look around at your life and begin to think, "I did all that work and this is all I have to show for it"?
    or
    It's when you realize life has passed you by, that you may have missed something

As to how old specifically, IDK. But, it is sometime after you've actually Done Something with your life- not before your life has even begun

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Midlife crisis is at the approximate middle of you life expectancy. Although people can live much longer now, we usually experience it at about 35 to 40 years of age.
    It is not just any time unless you know you are going to die on a certain date and know half your life is over.
    Many feel it is all down hill from here (as it only get worse)
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I was 38 if I remember correctly. It lasted for about four years....

I think there is a difference between an actual midlife crisis and immaturity at say, 20. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I feel like the odd one out here. I'm in my 50s and still haven't had one of these. Please tell me they're not obligatory! lol
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 12:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• LOL @ 20! Please, that's like still a kids age to me! I just turned 46 so I'd say I am really going to freak at 50! I recently had a baby so that makes me feel younger! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• 20. How cute. Barely out of diapers...

I had mine between the age of 36-37.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Midlife crisis is to me as follows... you can live to be 40, and be comfortable in the fact that you could live for another 40 years. At age 50, you know the chances are much slimmer that you'll see an additional 50.
    I think between 40 and 50 is where a midlife crisis happens.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2013