You could grow up to be president! But please, don't.

In U.S., 64% Want Their Child to Avoid Career in Politics

New Gallup poll, results mostly consistent over time, but I was amused at the jump around the time Bill and Hillary were buried in the Whitewater scandal.  Even more people wanted their kids out of politics then.

Which side are you - and why?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• There are two things that I've begged of my children:

1. Never get into politics, and
    2. Never marry a doctor

So far so good!
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I wouldn't want my kids involved in politics, no way. I mean, I love them so I'd support them if it was really what they wanted, but I've told them that I think it's a really bad idea. I don't know anyone who has a good opinion about politicians. I mean, there are some (JFK, Washington, etc.) that most people agree were fairly decent men, but most of them are viewed as liars and cheats, and I don't want that for my sons.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• It's a hard life, I would think, being a politician. Always worrying about what you do and say because there's another election around the corner. If it's what my daughter really wants, then I'll be behind her all the way, but I wouldn't wish it on her. I think I'm pretty safe, though, because beyond the state level, you have to be wealthy and have connections, for the most part, or you won't get very far. In this day and age, our presidents are born with silver spoons in their mouths; the're graduates of private schools and Ivy League colleges.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Unfortunately is not our call to make, I would not like it either but I would support them in whatever makes them happy!

Answer by older at 3:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I think that my oldest DD would make a great politician but, I'm sure she would have difficulty with the press always following her.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Unfortunately is not our call to make

Nobody suggested it was. You are still entitled to an opinion. It's not like you are born a politician.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• No- I don't want my children to become involved in politics. The way they dig up stuff on people, their dad (stepdad to boys) & I would be a huge embarrassment! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• It's not like you are born a politician.

Some are born into a household of politicians, and are inclined to go that route, like I said not my call, and I would support my children in anything their heart desired...I got a musician in my hands and I am not to thrilled at the idea of my son going that route, but that is his passion, so power to him...

Answer by older at 7:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2013

• I want my kids to follow their hearts, be it politician, teachers, actors, or garbage men I would support them. Hopefully I've done my job as a parent and set them out in the world with the skills, morals, and knowledge to be the best at whatever it is they are striving for.
    (But of course being able to say "My son is President of the United States" to all those mothers who look down on me for not sending him to preschool or not feeding him an all organic/gluten free diet would feel damn good. Lol!)
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 10:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2013