is it safe to have radiology done while pregnant

im a cancer survivor and I need to make sure my baby will not pick up cells

keyerra500

Asked by keyerra500 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Pregnancy

• What does your OB say?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Elective procedures like dental X-rays are not recommended, but something like checking your baby for cancer cells is probably worth the risk. Talk to your gynecologist and your oncology doctor.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I broke my hand when I was about 8 months pregnant with my youngest. I didn't see a doctor, because I thought x-rays while pregnant were a no-no. My doctor later today me that after a certain point in the pregnancy, they will use the radiation shield over your belly, but that it doesn't really harm the baby anymore by that point, although I can't remember how far along that point was - had to be before 8 months, though, because she said I could have had it done. She also said that there are certain circumstances which call for radiology, even if it presents a risk to the baby - this might be one of those situations.

I'd talk to your OB and find out what they think.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I hurt my ankle and had to have an x-ray when I was 8 weeks pregnant with my first. They put a lead blanket over me. It was fine. I don't know what sort of exam you need to have done, but it sounds like the benefits outweigh the risks. Talk to your doctor and find out what precautions will be taken to protect your baby.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Define radiology??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• This is something to ask your Dr.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2013