Christians upset over Depp’s ‘Tonto’ being too pagan in ‘Lone Ranger’

/headdesk/

Dr. Ted Baehr of the Christian Film and Television Coalition told the Post, “The government is bad – the army is killing Indians – the bad guy is a businessman, the military-industrial complex is bad.” However, he said, “the Christians are not always bad.”

Baehr lamented that the villain of the film prays to Jesus before heading out to kill Native Americans and that “the pagan elements triumph because you’re looking at it from Tanto’s [sic.]point of view.”

clicky

Agree or disagree?

Thoughts?  

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with the /headdesk/

Why are so many people who are supposed to be educated on religion so fucking stupid? "Doctor"? Doctor of what???
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I have only seen a few trailers and not enough to base my opinion on. Have you ever watched any of the old Lone Ranger tv shows?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I think I wish I had the time to get my panties in a wad about BS like that.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Have you ever watched any of the old Lone Ranger tv shows?

Not in yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears. Don't remember much.
    MamaK88

Comment by MamaK88 (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Oooookay...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• There are a lot of Christian whiners in the world, just as there are a lot of non-Christian whiners. *Sigh.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Well, let's see, until they were "converted" either by force or not, the Native Americans were not Christian & had their own gods.
    It sounds like this preacher wants to re-write history.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• So....they're upset that Tonto, a character who is Native American, has Native American beliefs? Why not be upset about the color of his skin, then? That makes about as much sense. Of course a Native American character is going to have Native American beliefs, just like a Christian character is going to have Christian beliefs. Hey, I know! I'll get all offended that the Camdens on 7th Heaven are Christians!

*sigh* At the risk of sounding like Rodney King...can't we all just get along? lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Well for the most part everyone went to church and the bad guys are the bankers and the ranchers and the saloon keeper etc. All "law abiding God fearing" people. There were some train robbers and bandits and so on. The Indans were not depicted as Christians in any respect It was not meant to mimic history but to be entertainment. Just as I assume this film is meant to be.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• don't like it, don't see it. how fucking hard is that? i dont like any of the Fox "news" idiots so i don't watch their crap. is that a difficult concept to grasp?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2013