Made in China US Flags distributed to veterans

http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico/albuquerque/us-flags-made-in-china-given-to-nm-veterans/-/9153728/20847284/-/4lfwsu/-/index.html

These were donated, so it's not like the VA bought them.  Their only offense was not noticing where they were made.  As it turns out, we spend nearly $4 million a year on IMPORTED flags, the vast majority made in China.

Should there be restrictions on imported flags?  Should the government be allowed to purchase imported?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's shameful to outsource the manufacturing of a beloved & significant symbol of our country. There are plenty of places right here in our country, to do the work. It's just not right.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Ridiculous...*sigh*
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I am in the National Service and I buy all of my patriotic/national service gear through here- http://www.nationalservicegear.org/

It is 100% made in America and 80% of the workers are blind.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Isn't it often less expensive than buying American?

I thought that that was the general consensus-
    1. if you were willing to look (time consuming/ what is your time worth)
    2. if you were willing to pay "a little bit more" (but it isnt a little if you are purchasing large quantities)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• ^^^Actually I heard a story not so long along that said with the increased costs in shipping, that it's cheaper to stay put. (sorry- no link)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• feralxat, if more and more people refused to buy non-American, it wouldn't cost a little bit more. Employers would be able to hire more people and buy there materials in bulk, making the cost of the item go down.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• While I feel unsettled about imported flags being distributed to veterans, and in an ideal world all flags would be made in their home countries, I suppose if the government gave out flags made in the USA, at even a slightly higher cost, someone would be complaining that tax dollars were being squandered. There's no pleasing everybody.

BTW, thanks for the link, JeremysMom!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Reminds me of the Olympics! Where were our athletes sports apparel made?
    Not in the USA!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• feralxat, if more and more people refused to buy non-American, it wouldn't cost a little bit more

What constitutes more?
    How many of Us would have to buy American to drive the prices down?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• ABC did a report on Americans buying American made items. I remember that they gave a statistic if x individuals bought x amount every year, then it would provide x amount of American jobs. I will see if I can find it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2013