I am getting Chantix Friday, what is your opinion?

I can't quit alone, and I heard a lot of people some I know quit with this chantix. Any one use it or thinking about it?

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Health

• My in-laws both used it to stop and it worked great for them. My husband then tried it and his mood totally changed he stop taking it shortly after he started because he didnt like the way it made him feel.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I quit smoking a couple of years ago and used Chantix to help. It was fantastic really. It got me over the hump. It makes cigarettes taste really bad. Then, you know that feeling you get after you had a cigarette? A feeling of relief sort of...you feel better right? Well...it makes that feeling go away. So, even if you have a cigarette, you don't get that relief. You still crave a cigarette even while you're smoking it. Its a strange thing...but it blocks the nicotine receptors from receiving the nicotine so it forces you to go through the withdrawal even if you don't have the will power to do it. You're supposed to use it for a minimum of 12 weeks but I only used it for 6 weeks and quit taking it. I got pregnant a few months later and now I have a 10 mo. old baby girl and haven't picked up a cigarette since. I hope it works for you! (Beware...strange dreams!)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Worked for my friend...he was so happy to quit.GL
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Oh....the first couple of days kind of make you feel high...so start taking it on a weekend or a day when you don't have to work. The feeling goes away in a few days.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i've heard good and bad things about it. I asked my doctor about it, she was against me using it since I have trouble with my hormones. She was worried I would slide into depression. But, if your emotional state is healthy, a couple I know used it and had no problems. I think it depends on the person and how they will react to it. Like most drugs, some can take it others can't. Good Luck! Please let me know if it works for you. I would also like to quit. But haven't had the will power to do it.
    irishmaiden26

Answer by irishmaiden26 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My husband tried it, but quit taking it after the first month. He did like the fact that it made him not even want to smoke, but it affected his mood, and it made him have horrible, really vivid nightmares.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 11:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I've heard that it works great - but don't take it if you have a history of depression. There is an increase in suicide among people who take it with a history of depression.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I was afraid to take anything to quit. I just tapered off ,smoking less everyday for about a week,then quit. That was 5 years ago, after trying to quit since 1968. GOOD LUCK! It isn't easy but it will be great once you quit. You and your hair and clothes smell better and you feel much happier,relaxed.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I haven't heard good things about it. I'll be honest. I know someone who committed suicide while taking it because it made her very depressed and caused her to have horrible dreams and I'm guess she felt like that was the only way out. My mom also tried it and she felt the same way and had to stop. Everyone I've known who has taken it it has really changed there moods and behavior. I would not recomend it. If you doctor think you will be fine then I guess go for it. It's up to you.
    Anonymous