Can a person drink too much water?

Maybe it's a silly question, but I never noticed how much water I WAS Drinking till our city went under a contamination advisory and I had to start buying the bottled stuff. If I don't drink a 16-ounce bottle of water about every hour or two, I start feeling really parched and thirsty because of Sjogren's Syndrome and get a mild headache. So aside from spending seven dollars for two cases of water that won't last a week, and of course having to run to the bathroom often which is normal in my world anyway, can I harm myself from drinking too much water?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 8:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Health

• Here is what I found on the internets,
    The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Also, my best friend in the whole world had Sjogren's Syndrome. She had a lot of problems with her joints, and had to walk with canes. She also had dry eye problems.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 8:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• yes
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Yes, you can.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Yes, a person can drink too much water.
    A person can get water intoxication but you really need to drink A LOT in a very short period of time.
    That's why it's recommended to drink 8, 12 oz. glasses of water a day. We need the electrolytes that the water flushes from our body.
    Another reason young moms don't want to give infants too much water.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Yes and my area a few years ago a mother died doing just that for a contest
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• ALTERED -to- BALLAD:
    Yes, too much water can be toxic aka lead to death. Below is what one government source says. You will find the quoted info at Paragraph 6 when you get to the website.

"Water intoxication provokes disturbances in electrolyte balance, resulting in a rapid decrease in serum sodium concentration and eventual death. The development of acute dilutional hyponatraemia causes neurological symptoms because of the movement of water into the brain cells, in response to the fall in extracellular osmolality. Symptoms can become apparent when the serum sodium falls below 120 mmol/litre, but are usually associated with concentrations below 110 mmol/litre. Severe symptoms occur with very low sodium concentrations of 90–105 mmol/litre. As the sodium concentration falls, the symptoms progress from confusion to drowsiness and eventually coma."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770067/
    Altered

Answer by Altered at 8:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I've heard you're suppose to drink at least half your body weight in ounces per day
    I'm like you. I am constantly drinking water

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I've heard of water intoxication, but from my understanding, you would have to drink a ton of water over a short period of time for that to happen. I'd say since you've been drinking this way already (you only just realized now how much it is), you're fine.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• yes you can, but it has to be a shit ton of water. im like you, i drink a lot of water. there wasn't a fresh water source on vacation so i went through 2 cases of bottled water (8 24 fl oz) in two days (but shared some of it with my kids) plus more over the other days. i just bought 3 gallons of water for hurricane preparedness, but i really need to buy more because i would definitely polish off atleast one of those gallons in just one day alone.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• The amount you're drinking is a lot but not excessive. It's less than half a liter per hour or two. Over the day it might seem like a lot but you are unlikely to die from it :)
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 5:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2013