Spin-off: Should the U.S. be making and exporting flags for other countries?

I got curious after thinking about my position on whether the United States should import American flags made in China, so I looked on the Internet.

In 2012, the U.S. spent 3.8 million dollars on imported flags, 3.6 million dollars worth from China.

In the same year, the U.S. exported $614,115 worth of American flags to other countries. Mexico was the leading customer, purchasing $188,824 worth.

The statistics are from the Flag Manufacturers Association of America at http://www.fmaa-usa.com/resources_links/usflag_statistics.php.

So we are importing the flags we use here from China and exporting our flags to be used in other countries. Is that just economics, or does it seem a bit strange?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 8:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Talk about stupididty!

why can't everyone make their OWN flags?!
    we spend more getting them from somehwere else than we get making them for others?

How DUMB is THAT?!?!?!?!?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• If the US can make the flags and have a market to sell them why not?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

Thats part of the discussion on the other question- cost
    If it costs .50 to buy a made in China handheld flag and $1.50 ( random numbers to emphasize discrepancies) to buy American made handheld flag many people choose the Chinese product.

It isn't (IMHO) a matter of patriotism but is a matter of whether you want the extra dollar to go to buying American or buying food.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Why wouldn't we export American flags to other countries? I guess I don't understand your question? Do you object to Americans who live outside the US being able to buy American flags at all?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Why aren't the other countries buying the Chinese-made American flags, too, if they're cheaper?

Because they're not cheaper for them. Imported goods aren't just priced and sold, they are subject to tariffs and trade agreements.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• If it makes money - why not?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• No. I might object if I knew we were selling flags to foreign governments so people who don't like America could spit on them or set them on fire,."OP
    There are many countries that have been known to burn our flag that we might have sold to them. Just now way of knowing this. But lots of flag burning went just after the guy who put the video “Innocence of Muslims” that mocked Islam’s Prophet Muhammad. They had some people chanting from the Ansar al-Shariah Brigades "'Obama, Obama, we are all Osama.” There were Palestinians burning our flag, Pakistani, etc. And oddly enough this all went down just before the Benghazi thing. But yet Obama still sends money to these folks....
    Sorry, went off topic.. :)
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Do you object to Americans who live outside the US being able to buy American flags at all?

No. I might object if I knew we were selling flags to foreign governments so people who don't like America could spit on them or set them on fire, but flags should be available. It just seemed odd to me that we import flags from China and make flags for export to other countries, like Mexico, at the same time. Why aren't the other countries buying the Chinese-made American flags, too, if they're cheaper?
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2013