How to cure coughing every morning and bringing up green mucus

I had a respiratory illness April 1 and was had 3 rounds of antibiotics but I'm still coughing up green gunk in the morning. I'm fine during the day. My nasal passages are somewhat clogged all day but not to the point where I have to use my mouth to breathe.When I do blow my nose, the mucus is clear. I don't have any sinus pressure or headaches. If I do have a sinus infection, I'm not aware of it. I am a 73 year old female. I don't smoke.

frogholler

Asked by frogholler at 1:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2013 in Health

• You have allergies.
    Try an OTC Benadryl. They're $4 at walmart.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Sounds like you need to go back to the doctor.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Please go back to your doctor. You may have mucus in your lungs. This isn't something to try to cure on your own.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Doctor. Soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Sounds like you are clearing out whatever was in your lungs. My Son had Pneumonia twice over the winter & each time after he completed the antibiotics, it took him about three weeks to clear his lungs with a cough. He did not cough up green mucus. Since it has already been longer than 3 weeks for you & you are still coughing up phlem, You NEED to go & have a chest X-Ray ASAP. I would go to the ER if you can't get an appointment with your Dr. Hope you feel better soon :(

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• You should not be coughing up green gunk. Good thing is that you have a productive cough, but green or brown is a sign of infection, you need to go back to MD and ask for a detailed check up.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Have you tried mucinex?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• I know exactly what this is. I've had it before. Green mucus means you have a bacterial infection. These are treated differently than viral infections. Get some medication that has Guafenisin in it, such as Robitussin or Mucinex. Guafenisin is an expectorant which loosens the mucus so that you can spit it out and so that it doesn't accumulate. Mucus can drip from your nasal passages to your throat and accumulate. Drink lots of vitamin C. Supplements are okay but it's better to drink a juice such as orange juice, since it's wonderful for many kinds of respiratory illnesses. It should be gone within a week with Robitussin, Vitamin C & plenty of fluids. It sounds so simple but it works. You can also buy a nasal spray to unclog your nose. I hate using them but they work quickly.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• P.S. It does seem like you have allergies as well since you've had this for so long. I've never had allergies ever, but randomly had the same thing happen where I coughed for about 3 months straight and nothing the doctor prescribed helped. The only thing that helped is a $3.00 bottle of Chlor Tabs (sold at Walmart) that was low or no-drowsy and worked GREAT. Imagine that? Cheap things sometimes work better than expensive prescriptions. The brand name equivalent is Chlor Trimeton and Loratadine is non-drowsy.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Thank you all for your suggestions, etc. I have been taking Allegra every night for any allergies I might have. I'll try some of the other remedies suggested as well. I feel fine except for the short coughing spell when I first get up. I don't want to go back on antibiotics as they tend to destroy the good flora and bacteria in the gut. I am taking a probiotic twice a day as well.
    frogholler

Comment by frogholler (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2013