Masturbation at 7? Is this normal?

I walked in on my oldest daughter masturbating yesterday. To be honest I almost just walked back out and ignored it....i'm so not ready for this talk. I ended up just telling her that it is okay to touch herself, but that she needs to make sure she does it in private and washes her hands. I don't know if that was the right way to handle it or not. I did ask her if any one else ever touched her there and she said no. Does this sound normal? Do you think I handled it okay? I don't want her to be ashamed or embarrassed, but I think she's a little young for this....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• shes just finding her body. i think you handled it well. as long as no one has touched I don't see the problem with this
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I think you did an awesome job at handling it. I think most children do touch themselves and teaching her that she needs to do it in a private is good. Talk to her about it she probably has no idea what she is doing, she just knows it feels good.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Well kids love to explore and at whatever age they discover this good feeling they will act on it they could be 3 or 4 years of age and touching there.

And yes you handled it very well just tell her to do this privately and it is normal just don't get carried away either. Oh my god I have a 7 yr. old he is a boy I m scared but I have to take my own advice...lol and I have a 5 yr. old girl I sometimes see her watching tv and laying on her tummy but halfway hanging on the sofa as though doing some rubbing I am telling you they will find a way. I just tell her to sit right...lol GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Totally fine. She doesn't see it as a sexual thing, she just found a new part of her body and discovered that it feels good. Nothing strange about that at all. Be sure she understands bad touching (only doctors and Mommy/Daddy should touch her there) and that she needs to keep herself clean.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It's an incredibly normal age to start. Five, even, is a normal age. It sounds like you handled it well. Good for you! Just because she has started doing this doesn't mean anyone's touched her, it just means she's discovered what can happen. Good for you for not having a discussion that could lead to her being ashamed of her body. If you discover she's constantly doing it, or you're walking in on her constantly, then perhaps have another talk about how it's a "sometimes" thing. :)
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 11:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Thanks everyone for the replies. The reassurance feels great. Sometimes I wish they would stay babies forever :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Awesome job dealing with that, Mom! I think you did perfectly. People freak out about that stuff, but as long as you are sure no one's bothered her, then she's fine.
    Tiffa-Knee

Answer by Tiffa-Knee at 3:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2009