Any computer experts? I need HELP!

My hard drive bit the dust in major fashion overnight. I was able to get a new one installed today, so I'm getting it back up and running. Here's my question:

Can I use the system image disk I created with the old hard drive and restore it to the new hard drive? (The repair guy reinstalled Windows 7, but just a fresh installation) If I try, and it doesn't work, will it mess up what he put on the drive?

The old hard drive was a 500GB, the new is a 160GB (yeah, not real happy about that, but I made a trade of some old laptops to get this fixed, so...).

Any help you can give me is appreciated so very much.

wendythewriter

Asked by wendythewriter at 6:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2013 in Technology

• No, you shouldn't use different system disks. You should sign up for a back-up online drive or a physical secondary drive. Sites such as Google Drive (15GB) and Microsoft SkyDrive(7GB) offer free online backups and cost a few dollars extra/month for extra space.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• How did he partition the drive? just curious
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• well,it depends..if the old drive had less than approx 145 gig installed on it, then you should be fine.
    If not, well, you're better off re-installing the programs you want.
    To be totally honest, whenever I reformat, I always
    1. do the windows updates,
    2. reinstall programs,
    3. go have fun..
    This way, you know your computer is free of any spyware or malware.. should be good for at least a couple years.. or at least until your next hard drive..
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Problem one going to a smaller drive, you will need to put only important files on the new system Not all the photos or other programs. I do not know how much of the image you have, if it is more than the new it could lock up again. Check to see how much space is left on the new system before the transfer. Right click on the my computer then properties to see how much space you have.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Well, based on the answers, I think I'll skip it. lol I have my files backed up online, I just figured using the system image would be quicker for reinstalling programs and settings than going through and doing it all manually - well, maybe not quicker, but less work. But I don't want to risk screwing it up.

hellokitty, I have no idea how he partitioned it. Frankly, I'm not all that impressed by what he did. I have a working computer, so I'm not going to complain *too much*, but as soon as I can find a 500GB hard drive, I'm going to get someone else to install it so I can get things back to what they were.
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• yeah i agree with the others, definitely NO. the ones that say yes don't know what they're talking about
    Anonymous