Meatless spaghetti, anyone ever used...

Beans? Instead of meat. Is it good? Kids eat it? Lol

Had unexpected guests on a tight budget. Getting creative with meals for the week.

Any other creatively thrifty dinner ideas appreciated. Thanks. :)

Kword

Asked by Kword at 8:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Beans instead of meat in spaghetti? Sorry, but that sounds disgusting.
    For my meatless spaghetti, I use fresh tomatoes, lots of minced garlic, basil, splash of white wine, garlic salt. It surprisingly goes a long way.
    Fritattas and omelets are filling and inexpensive.
    Potato fritters, lentil soup, rice, casseroles..
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 8:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Doesn't sound that good. I would just use any vegetables you have or make it a cheesy spaghetti instead. If you can afford it, I've had sliced smoked sausage in spaghetti, and it was pretty good.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 9:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Nope, better idea would be regular meatless spaghetti with a bean salad on the side. If you're trying to make the spaghetti more filling, use sauteed mushrooms.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Make a pomodoro sauce. Saute garlic in olive oil, Crush the tomatoes even canned ones, pour in the pot with garlic & oil. Add some basil. Done!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Saute onions and garlic a tomatoes and a little more olive oil with basil and parsley. add pasta that has been cooked al dente and drained. Toss and top with cheese.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• no- but I have used diced veggies. Eggplants, zucchini, green peppers mushrooms, onion and/or tomato.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• Chop vegies, carrots broccoli onions, mushrooms cauliflower, pees even chickpeas and squash. set aside.
    Cook pasta al dente. When you put in the pasta to cook heat pan with oil and sauté garlic. Add the longer cooking vegies first carrots etc. ad end with shorter cooking, frozen peas. Drain pasta. Add butter to pot pasta was in and melt add flour and cook gently to a rue. Add milk and whisk smooth and cook to a gravy consistency Add pasta and vegies.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• As far as budget meals go:
    A whole chicken can feed many and then the bones can be boiled down to make soup the next day.
    breakfast- eggs, pancakes and fruit
    Lentil sloppy Joes
    red beans and rice
    vegetable fried rice or vegetable stir fry
    good ol' sandwiches!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• For vegetarian Bolognese, I use finely diced veggies, like carrot, zuchinni, yellow squash, celery. I sautée them with onion and garlic, add crush tomatoes, basil and oregano, salt and pepper.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2013

• that sounds gross.
    I'd just make it without meat...OR beens, make salad and garlic bread with it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2013