If your teen daughter asked about kegels? adult content

My 16 year old asked me how to do kegels. I was at a loss for words and directed her to the internet and told her to read up on it and I would answer any questions she had. Has anyone else been through this with their kids before? I guess the fact that she asked me about them meant she trusted me enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• is she on bc?
    do you know that she is sexually active?

if yes to above two questions
    then congrates that teen can speak to you so openly

if no to either questions, then some more talking is in order
    as a teen not having sex - would not be doing kegels most likely (imo)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2013

• She may want to do kegels to help with urinary continence.

Answer by Bmat at 8:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Read up on it together to foster open discussions and closeness instead of sending her off to do her own research. You want her to know you will find the answers together.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2013

• I agree with fiat, she wouldn't want to know about them unless she was having sex. I know my 16 year old does them but she's never asked me about it. I give your dd credit for being able to come to you about this. Btw, I've don'e kegels for years and dh loves it.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2013

• I would have told her she is to young to worry about that sort of stuff. Unless she had a baby already?

Answer by louise2 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2013

• I would ask first WHY she wants to know, and then tell her the benefits. I'd be more concerned that she got some bad information and that's why she wants to know. (Like she had sex and now thinks she's "loose" down there or something).
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2013

• You need to ask her why she wants to know. However, kegels are also used in PT by women and men of all ages to strengthen the core, particularly for the lower back.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Doing kegels is a huge topic of discussion in a lot of women's magazines, and not just for sexual pleasure. I would ask my dd where she heard about it but I would explain to her how to do them. Keeping you pelvic floor muscles strong and healthy is important whether you are having sex or not.

Answer by missanc at 11:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Agree with missanc^^^^
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Yeah I was thinking it was probably mention in Cosmo or something like that.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2013