Knitting vs crochet

Ok, so I'm Confused.. Almost 35 years ago my aunt made afghan for my mom and dad. As a I always, always loved that blanket and to this day at 31 years ago I cannot sleep without it! Well now my three year old loves it ... He's so attached to it! The thing is falling apart .. It has holes everywhere. My great aunt is going to fix it for me butI want to learn to make it but she's in yet 80s so I was going to teach myself.. But do I look up crochet or knitting? What is the best one to start with? My blanket is the zigzag one, you know the up down up down all difference colors .. But I' like to learn to make all different kinds... Any feedback would be great! Sorry for being so long winded....

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I can do both but I would say crochet would be easier to learn to start with....Knitting is the same type of knotting but there are many interpretations when reading and creating the afghans....There are many You Tube videos to learn from and pick one and give it a try! There are different types of yarn and needles/hook sized....I started my girls with Red Heart 4 ply and a size G crochet hook..Good luck! If I can do it anyone can lol
    hau_siyoka

Answer by hau_siyoka at 5:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• You can do a zig zag in either knit or crochet. There are many variations. If you want to see the exact design you would have to look at crochet or knitting patterns. There are tons at places like JoAnn's Fabrics and online. You might also take a picture of it and post it on some knitting or crocheting websites/blogs. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• By the age of it, being a ripple pattern (that's what the zig zag is called) It's most likely crochet. Here's how you tell the difference - look at a row of stitches vertically (meaning the zig zags are going left to right). If it's knitting, one side will have a bunch of v shapes, and the other will have horizontal lines. If it's crochet, it will have chain links and stitches that look like PI symbols (or overgrown pi symbols that got carried away and added extra pieces). Don't look at the edge, because often knitted pieces are finished with crochet around the border.

Both are easy to do, but require patience to learn - your hands aren't used to moving the way they need to move.  I'd suggest you join http://www.ravelry.com and look around at patterns for both to see which you'd prefer to do beyond fixing your blanket.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Which is easier depends on your preference. My mother loved to crochet....disliked knitting. My SIL loves knitting and dislikes crochet!! Look at youtube for some tutorials and try each. Have fun with it.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Just re-read my post , sorry tons of typos, I'm on my iPad and the stupid auto correct messes me up ...
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• I think it depends on what exactly your preference is. My grandmother crochets - blankets, all sorts of things. But you can knit those same items, too. So I think (*think* - since I don't do it myself) that it just depends on which method you want to use... But I could be wrong.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Makes sense.. I wonder which one is easier , I'll go with that one haha
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• From what you have described that is crochet.
    I would bet your aunt would teach you. If that is not a good option then you might go to a yarn store and see if they have beginner classes or a "bee"
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• I've known how to crochet since I was young, but I've never been able to figure out knitting. Check out a bunch of YouTube videos on both and go from there.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2013