my stepson is 8 on sat and 105 lbs when is it neglect? he is with us 4 days a month

he obviously is not getting enough exercise and must be eating too many calories, his mother moved 3 hours away, so we can't just pop over or have his stay more frequently.. i just think their is possible neglect /eating out of boredom because of lack of attention? has anyone dealt with a situation like this? if so what did you do?

onedayatatim298

Asked by onedayatatim298 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Thats about 40 lbs overweight on an average child that age. You can try calling his pediatrician and see what they say. If hes a tall boy though it might not be that overweight. It depends on the child. I think its only neglect if its affecting his health.

Answer by gemgem at 11:57 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My advice to you is to stay out of it every one has their own way of raising kids and you as a stepmom can't do much about it let your dh and the ex handle this especially when it comes to their kids.

I am not trying to be mean but that is what it boils down too as much as we would love to run things don't!  it will cause more problems believe me I know I am a stepmom myself and they are in their teens now so just let them handle their own problems and you worry only about what is yours. I can not wait to give her her last check Woohoo! Party!!!! Only it is not soon enough :( GL girl keep ur chin up.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• butterfly - thankx! you have refocused me.. yeah only 10 years left here ha ha
    onedayatatim298

Answer by onedayatatim298 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Butterfly you give good advice. As a biomom I could only WISH I had a stepmom like you LOL. I raise my kids the best I can and have a very nosey bitchy step mom to deal with. She doesnt have any boys and I do. She has all sorts of opinions on how I should raise my boys which she bases on how she raises her girls. I have to remind her all the time, boys and girls are totally different toraise but she doesnt mind her own business. I look forward to my last check from my ex because maybe after that his new gf will butt out.
    Anonymous

• gem gem, he is 4' 7" size 14 - 16
    onedayatatim298

Answer by onedayatatim298 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I think i'll do what i always do, continue to explain nutrition and play outside with them, take butterflies gentle reminder and continue to keep it to myself. I do have 5 kids of my own to raise!
    onedayatatim298

Answer by onedayatatim298 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Just do like you said, keep him active at your house.You can't change how she raises her kid. Your husband could talk to her about it, but I doubt it would do any good. Try doing more physical activity with him when he is at your house. Don't make it like exercise because he's overweight or he may feel bad about himself. Try playing sports with him, going on a nature walk, and have him in the kitchen with you helping prepare healthy meals. All you can do is that basically. Good luck!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• what about getting him enrolled in activities at his home? Town sports? Not you his father. Don't but in too much dont want to see ya in trouble
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2009