Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a total of three children. My oldest is from a previous relationship. My fiance and I have planned our wedding for next June and we have planned to relocate from Georgia to Alaska. Is it illegal to take my oldest daughter with me? (she's only 9)

Answer Question

Asked by imbossy506 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2013 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (19)
  • It depends on your custody agreement. That's a question for your lawyer.

    Answer by gdiamante at 8:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

  • Hi! Welcome to CafeMom!
    Please join us in The CafeMom Newcomers Club. It's a great place to get started, meet other moms like you, and find active conversations!
    I hope to see you there!

    Answer by midnightmoma at 8:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

  • How would we know? Look at your papers and consult with that child's father.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 8:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

  • No way in hell you would get me there, talk about one extreme to another. Oh you asked a question, what does the father say, and your custody agreement as mentioned from above, that is the answer. Ask your lawyer

    Answer by midnightmoma at 8:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

  • There aren't any papers to look at. We've been fortunate and sensible enough to not ever have to step foot in a courtroom.

    Comment by imbossy506 (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

  • So- when you were surfing the net attempting to find the answer to your question...
    why did you bypass all of the legal sites and decide to join an opinion site?

    Answer by feralxat at 8:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

  • I wouldn't think it's illegal per say, but if you try to do this, her dad may decide it's time to set foot in a court room. Have you talked to him about this?? He needs to know.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

  • I think the father will have a problem with this, I wouldn't let the other parent take my child to Alaska..

    Answer by midnightmoma at 8:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

  • I would suggest a civil, cool-headed talk with the biological father of the child, where both parents decide what will be in her best interest and fit the financial and living arrangements of all. The more the father has been involved in the life of the child, the more say he should have about what happens next.

    Answer by Ballad at 8:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

  • Then you need to talk to the father and get permission to take her to Alaska. And be very prepared for him to say no and to haul you into court, which is where you two should have gone in the first place so you would never have to ask these questions.

    Answer by gdiamante at 8:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.