My 2 year old is eating his poop....

This is without a doubt the grossest thing I've had to deal with since being a mommy. I've tried keeping him in onsies. Even shorts, he still gets in there going through the leg holes of his diaper. Can't do pants, WAY too hot here. He doesn't speak and I don't think he'd understand the concept of potty training.. I've tried sternly telling him no, and giving him time outs.. Nothing is helping. I've already read that it can't make him sick, and just to give him milk to flush his system after. Is there no hope? Do we just have to deal with this until we can potty train him or until he can talk????

LogiAndIansMama

Asked by LogiAndIansMama at 8:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've already read that it can't make him sick, and just to give him milk to flush his system after.

...and where did you read that at?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• simple google search brought this information up...

Shigella, campylobacter, salmonella and E.coli are four bacteria commonly present in fecal matter. These bacteria, along with parasites like amebas and giardia, can cause severe diarrhea, abdominal pain and cramping, bloody stools, fever, nausea and vomiting.

Anonymous

• hey!
    is that from the4 "go ask alice" site?
    because I double checked before responding and read the same thing
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Yes, thanks. I just googled it myself. My cousin has two boys and told me she asked her doctor and that's what he told her to do.. So I just assumed that was right because he's a doctor. Apparently he must need a new degree.

My son hasn't shown any of these symptoms. And I have always caught him nearly immediately when he eats it.. So maybe he's just not eating enough of it thankfully.. I just want help. :-/
    LogiAndIansMama

Comment by LogiAndIansMama (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Is he developmentally delayed or something? Most two-year-olds speak a little, at least enough that "no" means something, and I've never heard of a kid eating his own feces out of his diaper.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• ok- you replied so i will play nice.
    why isnt he talking yet?
    why do you think he isnt beginning to understand potty habits?

is your child developmentally delayed?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Ok seriously, my 16 month old dd ate her poop for about a month straight ( some of you have read my antics on this lol). SHe eventually stooped but to curtail it I would put her in a onsie and shorts / pants so she didn't have direct access and be on top of it when he poops. My dd would only do it when she was in her crib asleep and woke up.

Good luck
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Play nice? I don't think I need or want your help. Thanks anyways!

Thank you funlovin, I've tried the onsie and shorts but he still gets in there.. Ballad, he is a little delayed. But his doctor says it's just because he's focusing more on his motor skills right now. He did everything else very quickly (crawling, walking) he's just a late bloomer when it comes to talking I guess. He talks a tiny bit. But only a few words here and there. We're noticing him trying more and more every day. But no doesn't seem to mean anything to him.. So I don't even know where I'd begin to potty train him.. I don't know how I'd explain it or get him to understand just yet..
    LogiAndIansMama

Comment by LogiAndIansMama (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Children understand what you are saying to them a long time before they actually start speaking themselves. I would continue your efforts at talking about it when it does happen and try your best to catch when he poops right away and change him immediately. At this age, you may start noticing a pattern about the time of day he goes #2, so maybe watch more carefully around that time. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Some kids eat they own poop just keep doing what your doing and give him milk and ask your doctor what can you do to help him but most kids grow out of it by time their 1 my new phew use to do the same thing he eventually grown out of it. When he turn 9 months to a year old.
    Ninabear

Answer by Ninabear at 11:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2013