Is 11 too young for facebook?

I know you have to be 13 to have one, but a bunch of my dds friends have them, and she has a lot of out-of-state family she likes to keep in contact with. I've been debating this for a while, and I'm just not sure.
I'd obviously private her profile, and know her password. And she's not allowed online with myself or my DH supervising, so is it too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I guess if you will closely supervise, it would be ok.....but otherwise she is too young....

Answer by older at 8:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• I asked this question a couple of months ago. My son just finished 5th grade and turned 11. He wanted a Facebook page to keep in touch with his friends from school, since they won't all be going to the same middle school. I let him, and made sure it was private. His emails come to me, so I know what is going on.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Yes... The rule is 13... It's actually a legal issue!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• I wold think if you max out the privacy settings and watch closely, it will be okay. The thing you want o watch for most is your kid posting information that could lead someone to her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• I will agree with older :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• If you keep a hawks eye on her profile. But if she is good at computers. She can make a secret profile you do not even know of.

Answer by louise2 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Yes.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• I went through all of this with SD. 11 is too young, and you have to allow her to lie about her age. Not good.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Yes, they are not 13.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• In my opinion, yes. I have a friend whose 10 yr old son has one and wants to friend me. I have a real issue with that, because this kid is friends with my kids - and sometimes I bitch about my ex on there. I don't need this kid going back to mine and telling them what I've said about their father. Or I use words like bitch - or worse. lol I don't want to have to think about what I'm saying because there's a kid on there - or worry about his mom getting pissed at me because he saw a bad word I used.

To me, it's not just about what the child might do - it's about what the people the child is friends with might do. While you have her password, you can somewhat control what she posts, but you can't control what anyone else posts. If you can be positive (which I kind of doubt) that no one would ever say anything (or post any images, etc.) that you wouldn't want her to see, I'd wait.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2013