So, I'm the pet

I've gone through coworkers telling me that I never get into trouble because I'm the bosses favorite.
On to hearing rumors of the boss and I having an affair. (He's married, I'm not)
Back to hearing I'm his pet.

I don't want to be the bosses pet, favorite and I'd never have an affair with him!

This has been said through out several years - by different groups or clicks within the company.

I don't know why but this last go around, has gotten to me.
Well, maybe because it was a complete stranger (coworker) who said it.
It was obvious after our second meeting/talk he did not like me.
I don't even work with this guy.

Okay, yes the boss has a nickname for me but that's it. He's been calling me this for years -
I wonder if he hears the same rumors. - I go to work and do my job. Yes, I've been yelled at by the boss. Yes, I've been called down by him.

I doubt wanna be the bosses favorite!!!

Help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2013 in Money & Work

• What's the nickname your boss has given you?

I feel a boss giving a co-worker a nickname his hugely unprofessional, which by doing so causes conflict in the workplace.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Listen up Muffin Pants, I told you not to tell anyone I call you Sweet Cheeks.
    Anonymous

• Umm, okay anonymous ... LoL
    The nickname is nothing endearing like no sweet or baby.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• If this were the first time, I'd say someone is just jealous or wanting to gossip. But when something keeps happening, you have to look for a common denominator. Not that you're necessarily doing anything wrong,but something in the way you and the boss are relating to each other is making more than one person think you're his favorite. It would be worth taking a long honest look at the situation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• Reframe the situation. They see you as a threat to their jobs. You're probably a good worker, so they want to get to you and make it so bad that you leave so that they can continue doing mediocre work and not have to be compared to you. You might mention these out of hand rumors to the boss and just say you wish people would focus on work. It is usually one person that is starting and continuing these rumors. They might be getting people on the bandwagon by relating new rumors about other people to you. They might be saying, "I overheard Miss Pet saying to the boss that you take too many breaks." They give people reason to hate you. Another option could be to go along with the rumors & show them that you don't take them seriously at all. Make the jokes sound so extreme that people realize their not true but avoid doing that with the affair issue since the boss could take offense.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2013