Should I have kept my mouth shut?

My cousins are 28, going to be 29 this year.
They both came up with an idea to find "matching outfits" to wear on Fourth of July. I laughed and said, "wow I remember I use to do that in high school". They took it out of context. Then one of them has a belly ring in, and I have one also that I haven't worn in a long time, so I asked her "do you think there's an age limit to these things, like 25?" Again, they took out of context. They say that I'm trying to call them childish.

Thoughts on who's right here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• If calling things as you see them is wrong, I'd never want to be right. I too think it was pretty childish.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• If you weren't trying to call them childish and you didn't say what you said in a nasty way, or with bad intentions, then don't worry about it. Their reaction is on them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• How exactly did they take it out of context? You did imply that they were being childish. Not that I think you were wrong about the matching outfits, cause that is just stupid. You have a right to your opinion and they have a right to be upset with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:21 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• If I had to guess, I'd say you were not great in a social setting.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I have to agree is was a backhanded dig
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2013