Is there a trick to caring for a bamboo plant?

My boyfriend bought a bamboo plant for his store. He's been following the instructions as far as giving the plant water and the right amount of sunlight, and the door-to-door salesman he bought it from said it was impossible to kill. But the leaves are all turning brown and dropping off. Is there a secret trick to making bamboo plants thrive?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

• If there is a trick to growing them I haven't found it yet either because mine do the same thing turn brown and yucky meanwhile my orchids flourish.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Mine never actually saw the light of day. It was in the bathroom and it thrived just fine. Just kept the water level up and that was it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I agree that they need very little sunlight and definitely not direct light but other than that, they are very easy plants. I have bamboo in several rooms of my house because it's something I don't have to worry about.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• MAybe you're overwatering them? Where I live they grow outdoors ... Not only that but you have to really close their roots in or they take over the whole garden! Maybe he's fussing over it? Do they use gas (gas cooker anywhere) in the store? Because that will kill of just about anything.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2013