Trakfone

Have any of you gotten Trakfone, and if so, do you like it? I'm thinking about switching because I never use nearly as many monthly minutes as I pay for on my current cell phone plan.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Technology

• i LOVE my tracfone! its cheap and its very reliable. a few years ago when i was subbing there was a tornado, we had to go down into these underground locker rooms...anyways i was the only person with a working cell phone! nobody else could get any bars, but my little tracfone made a clear as day call to my moms.

if you end up getting one, buy one that comes with a double minutes for life card. stretches your money even further.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I have an iPhone, but I always have a TracFone at home as a backup. I've been using them since they came out. There have been many times my AT & T has gone out and I can still use my TracFone.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• My DH and I share a tracfone . We hardly ever use a cell phone, so it works for us. My son also has a tracfone because he almost never uses a phone of any sort. His phone has triple minutes. Mine has double. It's the cheapest way I know of to have a cell phone. It costs us less than $10 a month.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• After years with my last carrier, I switched to Tracfone to save money since I use Google Voice for free when I'm at home. I did some number crunching and figured that I end up paying about $10-14/month with Tracfone. If you don't use a lot of minutes, you could buy the 1 year service plan for $120 which is $10 a month. However, if you want the best value for more minutes, you can buy the 200 minutes with 90 day service plan 4 times a year. With a double minutes phone or prepaid double minutes, you can get 1800 minutes for $160 for the year. If you buy the phone from a store, it comes with a coupon book that gives you up to 50 bonus minutes each time you use a promo code to buy more minutes. I factored this into the 1800 minutes. I am not sure if buying the phone online includes the coupons but you could ask them. The selection is better online. Triple minute phones even better but are more expensive.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I got a cheap clam shell phone that works okay because I hated candy bar type phones butt dialing or purse dialing all the time wasting minutes and having to lock and unlock the keypads. However, I wish I had spent a little more to have a few more features on it, such as a volume button, but I don't use the phone that often so it's been okay. The most important thing to me was the battery life for talk time and stand-by mode being long. I had another high end phone before that constantly had to be recharged because the touch screen was always being activated and it just used more resources in general. You need to check out Google Voice and get a headset with a microphone to take advantage of free home calls, which comes in handy when you need to call Tracfone customer service or check voicemails without using minutes, too. You can also set your Google number to forward to your cell phone.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Oh and if you ever forget to add minutes before service time ends, I've never seen my number change or my voice mails lost due to a couple days of lapse. I prefer to give out my Google number though in case I do change numbers because that number will always stay the same and the voice mails that go to that number can be saved permanently. They're sent to your G-mail. This is handy for legal documentation or just saving cute voice mails from kids as souvenirs.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2013