how can i get gabrielle to potty train?

(thanks for everyones help:)) as i've written on here a few times before, gabby is three, but i just cant get her to take to potty training, im not sure what im doing wrong, but is there a new better approach i can take to get her to accept using the bathroom?

gabriellesmomma

Asked by gabriellesmomma at 12:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Start putting her in underwear and stop buying diapers. She will get tired of wet clothes. I switched my daughter to cloth diapers and she is almost potty trained at 20 months. It's not fun to have wet pants when you can feel it. I am sorry this is so hard. Good luck!
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I disagree on the wet pants....Thats WAY more work for you than for the child. My son is almost 3 and isn't wanting to potty either. I am okay with him being a late bloomer because hes been late on everything else too. Have you tried setting a routine and just making her go? Don't wait for her to tell you, just take her. Maybe try the cloth training pants while you are at home and then use a pull up while your out. E is my 4th child and I usually just introduced the potty but just waited until they showed more motivation about it. I never forced them into anything. The oldest was 22 mos, the second and third were right at 3 or a few months after and the youngest will likely be 3 1/2. Be patient but definitely be encouraging. Have you tried incentives? Stickers? skittles?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I'm having a similar problem with 3 year old David. He'll go "pee-pee", but, just refuses to potty in the chair. Twice in the same day, I'd sat him on the potty (when he gave me THE clues) and he sat there for over 30 minutes without anything. As soon as he got up and put his big-boy pants on, he pooped in them! Then, said "Mommy, I pooped in my pants!"
    What to do???? I've tried rewarding him (stickers, candy, treats, etc). I've tried punishment (taking things away, standing in the corner, making him clean himself (TOTAL DISASTER!) and, even spanking him once. I don't spank normally!) I've even tried bribing him with money! "If you'll poop in the potty, I'll give you money!" Nothing! HELP!
    Davids_Mama

Answer by Davids_Mama at 12:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• you can lead a horse to water, but you can;t make it drink if it doesn't want.

same with kids.
    She'll do it when she is ready.
    I agree that trying cloth diapers or the cotton traiing pants so they can feel the wetness is a good idea. My boys did best with going naked actually. but we didn;t start the process until they were ready and wanting to do it.

yes panties/cloth training pants might be more work then just putting kids in diapers to change and throw away-- but things worthwhile take work and effort.
    and they can help with laundry and clean up.

bottom line- they won;t do it if they aren't ready
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009