How long does post pardom depression last?

My baby is 3 months old and I got diagnosed with ppd when she was 3 weeks old. I am doing a lot better now but still struggle with some anxiety. I was just wondering for you girls that went through ppd how long it lasts.

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest is 4 1/2. I got ppd a month after he was born. He was extremely colicky and I thought it was just 1st time mom jitters and anxiety. I was put on effexor and lasted on that for about 1 year. I weaned off of that, but unfortunately was never the same. I have a daughter who just turned 8 months and I am on Lexapro now (only 10 mg), but it sure helps keep me in check. You are not alone. Nothing ever use to bother me, but after childbearing, our emotions go on such a rollercoaster ride. There are various levels of ppd and everyone is different. Do what works for you, and don't be embarrassed if it last longer than you think it should.
    mamagonzo4

Answer by mamagonzo4 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My dd is almost 3 months old also, and I am still going through PPD. I use Lexapro, and man does it work wonders! I wasn't diagnosed until my dd was 6 weeks old....it was hell before the Lexapro. Some women get over it within a matter of months, some take years, and for some it lasts a lifetime... But I think if you really want to, PPD can be controlled! I was so ashamed at first, I didn't want to tell my husband or my family, because I felt like a bad mother, and I didn't want anyone to think I couldn't take care of my baby... but I got over that quick. And now that I have the meds I feel like a wonderful mother, I function great, and I live a normal, healthy life!!! ... Goodluck momma!!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 12:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009