End Times philosophy vs ecology

Does End Time Belief Really Cause Climate Change Apathy?

Too long to paste it all in, but some brief points:

40% of Americans believe Jesus will return by 2050

On environment saving laws:  

“a belief in the Second Coming reduces the probability of strongly agreeing that the government should take action by more than 12 percent.”

This bit from interviews with members of a Pentacostal church:

When we talked about caring for the environment, for example, Craig cautioned that it was important to draw the line between protecting the creation and worshipping it, while Julie agreed, adding that, “like with the polar bears and stuff, of course I don’t want them to die, but you also have to realize this is just a part of the world coming to an end like it’s supposed to. And there’s nothing really that they can do.”

After Sarah chimed in “Yeah, we can’t stop it,” Julie continued, arguing, “That’s why we need to be educated in the Bible, so we know what signs to look for. Because you’re just wasting all that money on research when it’s, sadly, not going to help.” 

And then this bit:

Many scholars of evangelical environmentalism, for example, have noted evangelicals’ concerns that caring for the environment could lead to Paganism.

The article does delineate between the hardcore anti-environment end timers and the less militant.  It varies in degrees by denomination as well as individual.  But looking at the big picture, if churches are supposed to be social organizations working towards what is best for their communities, aren't they doing a disservice by downplaying it?  Even if the end times are around the corner, shouldn't respecting the creation of their deity factor into how good or bad they are?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Religious Debate

• What a great way to justify being a selfish asshole. I don't care if you think the world is going to end or not, you take care of it now. Doesn't the fact that their god supposedly made this world make them want to take care of what he gave them?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Yes, to a degree, it definitely does. They see the planet's destruction as "signs of the end times" instead of events that need to be stopped, or even slowed down.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• If they think they shouldn't bother to take care of the planet because the end is coming, then they don't bother to take care of their homes or cars, either, right? I mean, if it's all going to end anyway, why bother taking care of anything? Why don't we all just party and destroy everything?

That attitude is ridiculous. What happens when (ok, IF, I'll give them the benefit of doubt for now) they discover they were wrong and that there is no end coming? By then, they've let the world fall apart so badly that there really is no coming back from that, and then what the hell are they going to do?

But of course we won't talk about that, because to do that they'd have to admit there's even a chance they could be wrong, and that just won't ever happen.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I think they are simplifying the issue terribly. I'm not of the Pentecostal denomination so I can't speak for them. What I believe is that we do have a responsibility to care for the Earth because God gave it to us. End times philosophy has nothing to do with it, IMO. Sure, there are ways we Christians can tell that Jesus will return soon but we have no way of knowing how soon. Tomorrow? Two hundred years from now? It would be irresponsible to trash our world. But, I don't believe that human behavior is responsible for global warming, therefore not causing the polar bears to die out. I'm all for recycling, eliminating pollution in our water, and eliminating smog. I do not believe it is within our power to control the weather or prevent our planet from going through it's normal warming and cooling phases.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• But, I don't believe that human behavior is responsible for global warming, therefore not causing the polar bears to die out. I'm all for recycling, eliminating pollution in our water, and eliminating smog. I do not believe it is within our power to control the weather or prevent our planet from going through it's normal warming and cooling phases.

I specifically avoided the phrase "global warming" for that reason. Global warming has nothing to do with NOT flushing your prescription drugs down the toilet or NOT throwing computers into landfills where they leech toxic levels of metals into the water.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• It's a pretty damn sad way to look at things. If your child was terminally ill, you wouldn't stop caring for her because she was going to die anyway. You would nurture her till she took her last breath and hold her and kiss her as long after that as you were allowed. Should we do anything less with the world our Creator has fashioned for us?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I believe this article has been blown out of proportion. Speaking for someone apart of the Pentecostal denomination we do believe that the end time is around the corner, but the bible says no one knows the day or the hour and we are to occupy time until He returns. Most believers praise God for creation as the Psalmist David does in all 150 Psalms and take care of His provisions for us in the earth. I do not think it is fair for anyone to judge the whole Pentecostal population for the views of a few.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• What kind of morons can't distinguish between caring for something and worshipping something? Please-trying to compare being aware environmentally to paganism is an uneducated fool at best.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I believe this article has been blown out of proportion.

Direct quotes of Pentecostals is someone else blowing it out of proportion? Why would they say it if they didn't believe it?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Direct quotes of Pentecostals is someone else blowing it out of proportion? Why would they say it if they didn't believe it?

Pentecostalism is probably one of the fastest growing denominations in the world, there are at least 13 million Pentecostals around the globe and you are going to lump the whole group from two documented interviews?
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2013