My 3yr old and 4yr old "read" from memory quite a few books around the house. Will that help or hinder them in really learning how to read?

My 2 older kids never really did that. They would look at the pictures and describe what's happening.

However, these 2 have memorized words and repeat them. They even point at the words as if they are really reading them.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids did this and I think it helps. Point to the words as they say them so they can associate what they are saying with the word on the page. When you are out somewhere, point at some words that are in their books and see if they recognize them.
    The fact that they have memorized the book means they have a good memory and will pick up on reading quickly even if the "reading" they are doing foesn't contribute to that.

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• That's excellent! They are well on their way to becoming great little readers. That's how children learn. They memorize sight words and eventually phrases or groups of words. Take advantage of their minds being like little sponges & start putting up post-it notes labeling all kinds of things throughout your house. That's what they do in school.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Wonderful. It just seems like they are skipping an important step. Actually learning each letter has a sound and then putting those sounds together to make a word. I'm sure they'll be okay.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• My daughter's pre-K teacher told me that with some kids, recognizing a few words by sight often comes before associating letters with their sounds. They'll be okay.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Do you mean "point at the words" in the sense of running a finger along under the text as they "read" (recite)? So the emphasis is more on reciting the story/words than it is on seeing particular written words, pointing to them, and saying the word?

It sounds like they are engaged (with the story), very familiar with it, and have committed it to memory. All good things.

I think it's less about "reading" and more about memorization, which is an important thing to develop in ways that are meaningful to the child (in contrast to "rote" memorization.) So....a preschool child who remembers rhymes, songs, and the words to favorite storybooks is developing his/her memory just as others their age who memorize the info to identify letters/numbers on sight, except that the memorization involved in the first is more concrete than abstract, & has relevant meaning to the child so it's richer, and provides scaffolding for future learning.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I think it will help! My sons kindergarten teachers were amazing and thats how they started him. They gave him little books that were just a few words on each page. And they said even though they are reading from memory it still helps them to learn the begining stages of reading. Correlating picture to words and so on. My son only went to kindergarten for two and a hald hours a day and hes now at the begining stages of reading! Good for your little ones, they sound like smart little guys.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• They are forming "sight" reading techniques right now it sounds like.

It should not hinder anything. Encourage them to keep it up. A lot of young children read by sight.

When phonics are introduced, then they will have a head start.

Most of our parents learned to read by sight. (Those whose parents are 65 or older now).
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2013