Help!!! I'm not ready for this.

My daughter is starting driver's education tomorrow. Don't know how long it will be before she has a permit. Don't know what it will do to my car insurance. More importantly Where did the last 15 years go?? Anything to ease my mind is appreciated. Teen drivers scare me. Heck most of the drivers in the state scare me.

2autisticsmom

Asked by 2autisticsmom at 12:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, where does the time go? Whenever I see little babies or even toddlers, and then I look at mine, I just have to shake my head sometimes. Driving can be scary, but you have to be able to trust her before you can let her make that next big step toward independence. My son was not allowed to get his license until he could pay his own insurance & gas. He used to put his phone in the glove-box while he was driving, so there would be no distractions. Once you get to drive with her during her many hours of practice, you will get a sense of how she's doing & what she needs more time to practice. Then, when the time comes that they make the 1st trip out on their own, you just do a lot of praying! GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Does your state have graduated licensing? In ours, even after you've had a permit and driver's ed, your first license only lets you drive during certain hours and with restrictions on who is in the car, eventually you work up to a standard license. If they don't, you might want to consider implementing it as house rules.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Just stress, no texting and driving!

Time flies.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I am working on this with my teen.
    But to make it interesting I am teaching him how to drive a stick.
    Just find a parking lot and remember- the imaginary brake WILL make you feel better :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Relax mom, I know how scary this can be but it is all part of the cycle of life, you did it, and have so many others, time sure flies...insurance for teens is high these days, if you can't afford to pay it for her, then, tell her so and let her make arrangements to make an income to help pay for this....this might take a while so it might make the actual driving stalled until she can save some $ . Bu really when she gets the learner's permit , take her around for driving lessons, and then you might get a feel of what kind of a driver she might turn out to be. In the mean time, you can teach her all the safety things she needs to know in order to be a good driver, and it will eventually ease your mind. Hang in there mom, this is only the start of a letting go rampage, hugs!.

Answer by older at 1:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• One more suggestion about the insurance- see if your insurance provider gives a Good Student Discount? That's usually for a "B" avg. or higher. You would just need to provide a copy of her report card periodically.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Not sure about the graduated licensing. I believe I have heard something about it. Even with the good student discount it's going to almost double our insurance. She is automatically covered while she has her permit since she has to have an adult with her anyway. She's excited and I want my baby back . LOL
    2autisticsmom

Comment by 2autisticsmom (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2013