Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Have you ever had to file a contempt charge on an ex-H?

Was it civil or criminal? Was it for violating a custody order or not paying a marital debt that he was ordered to pay in the divorce? How did you feel about it, did it make you nervous? Did you file yourself or have an attorney do it for you? Feel free to answer anon if need be.


Asked by HHx5 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Relationships

Level 24 (20,625 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I have filed multiple civil contempt orders against my ex. Off the top of my head there was 1) not paying child care expenses as ordered 2) not paying my attorney fees as ordered 3) not following visitation (returning kids late by several hours) and 4) not paying child support. There may have been a couple others in there?
    All filed by an attorney, it did not resolve any of the issues (except he now brings them back on time). I'm about to take him back myself for failure to share school information (I have primary custody and make copies of all documents to send him but he doesn't do the same on his weekends when he gets the info first - it's in our custody order)
    It didnt make me nervous, just frustrated that I have to do all this extra work dragging him into court because he's a jerk

    Answer by missanc at 1:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

  • not paying a marital debt that he was ordered to pay in the divorce

    he had moved to another state, so nothing happened
    if he were to be pilled over for something in this state, then he might be pulled in for the contempt
    but i am not holding my breath

    he was in contempt for not paying me the money oin our divorce
    he sold our house as a SINGLE person and left the state when we were married
    i did not know he sold it until later on when he was out of the state, and he set up fake address in another state
    took me a year to find his real address, so i could send papers for a divorce
    i got a divorce, (he never showed of course) i was awarded half the profits of the house sale
    and i have not seen a cent of it

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

  • Numerous times. All civil, all for failure to pay child support. No, it doesn't resolve it. He goes to jail, and either sits there for months until his time is up or pays the purge to get out.

    How do I feel about it? If he wants to be an ass, then he gets what he deserves. F*ck him - my kids are NOT going to be punished because he thinks this is some kind of joke. As long as he doesn't pay, I'm dragging his ass in front of a judge and tattling my ass off. He doesn't like it? Get a damn job and pay, then, dumbass!

    No lawyer, never needed one. It's pretty straight forward to fill out the contempt form, and I have the court order that shows exactly what he should be doing, and the state has the proof that he's not doing it. I don't see the need to pay a lawyer for that.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 1:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

  • My ex has been civil lately...therefore when I found out that he has not taken my name out of his credit cards....and I own them money...I am considering to file....
    he was the one told by the court to pay those credit cards....
    I really do not have information on what is best. Any help, will be nice, thanks!

    Answer by Monsita at 8:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

  • oh yeah, and did it resolve the matter? Thanks for sharing.

    Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

  • Thanks again for sharing. I do have reservations about filing 2 counts of contempt on my ex because I know it's going to make him angry further our difficulties in co-parenting. In my state there is a presumption of shared parenting unless its not possible. In our case, it's not possible. We've had issues over and over for the last 5 yrs. We signed an order that gave me the right to care for the kids while he is at work (joint custody, week on/week off) and he has been taking the kids to a babysitter on his wks. But, he won't reimburse me for a judgment for his court ordered debt that he never refinanced out of my name. I'm so done. Maybe the threat of contempt will set him straight otherwise I have to go through with it.

    Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

  • "therefore when I found out that he has not taken my name out of his credit cards"

    Can you call them and have your name taken off? Girl, I'd be mad, too! I would at least call an attorney and ask about my rights even if you don't have the attorney do anything for you. I've tried to find a sample form for contempt in my state and it seems it may be more complicated than just a form. I'm not sure yet. Each state is different.

    Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2013