what are the chances to tell what the sex of the baby is......

I just went to my 15 week checkup today and the doc is going to do a ultrasound on March 18th, I'll be 19 weeks along.. Do you think he will be able to tell if it's a boy or girl that early?
The heart rate was 154 today and with all my others they were always higher, could it be a BOY??? lol, I have 4 girls so thats why I wondered since it was low, but it's one of those old Wives tales I know

icebluegirl5

Asked by icebluegirl5 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, there is a good chance they will be able to tell. Drink orange juice or apple juice as part of your fluids. It makes the baby kick a lot and then their legs are not crossed together so you should be able to tell.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I found out the sex during my 18th week. Oh and the hb thing... my girls were always lower than this one and its a boy.
    kris.aguilar

Answer by kris.aguilar at 12:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• He should be able to tell assuming he tries to find out. Some doctors will just go in for what they need (measurements and such) and not truly attempt to find the sex. My doc did this to me a few weeks ago, he had a waiting room full of people so when I asked if he could move the ultrasound wand to another spot on my stomach to get a different view he said he had to keep his schedule :P
    But 19 weeks is definitely far enough along to tell.
    The heartrate being low is a wive's tale, but it is interesting because my daughter heart beat was high and this pregnancy we are having a boy and it's much lower.
    Anonymous

• yes they should be able too tell and the heart beat is a old wives tale with my first she had a strong heart beat up in the 160s and with my second its in the 140s maybe 150s some time and its yet another little girl no mistaking it for sure all 4 ultra sounds we had clear shots of her parts lol
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 12:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• They can tell usually at 18 weeks. But if you want to know FOR SURE tell them that you want them to be 100%. We went in at 19 weeks and they were like we're 90% sure it's a girl. At 24 weeks it was definitely a boy. We told them not to tell us unless they're for sure but they said it anyway.
    Anonymous

• they will be about 98% accurate. the best time to tell is anywhere between 18-22 weeks, the closer to 22 weeks, the harder it is though due to little fatty baby parts getting in the way ;o)

as long as baby's legs cooperate, you should find out without a problem :)
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the input, I'll be sure to drink plenty of OJ and be sure to tell the nurse to be 100% sure... I know I'll be haven another ultrasound at 23 weeks as well... I'll keep my fingures crossed for a boy, but I will be happy with #5 girl... I'll have my volleyball team then..lol
    icebluegirl5

Answer by icebluegirl5 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• There is a very good chance they will be able to tell... My little girls heart rate when she was that small was 172.... So maybe it is a boy...
    TheLaakSmith

Answer by TheLaakSmith at 8:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009