Damn is it just me or are grocery prices outrageous?

I just spent $250 for 7 days worth of food for 3 adults and 2 children. That seems so ridiculous! I need to learn how to coupon or something.

Is it too late to plant a vegetable garden?

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 1:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Shopping

• Well, I buy meats in bulk, cut them and put them in the freezer for meals, I plan every meal every two weeks, we cook almost completely from scratch, the only things I buy pre packaged are yogurt. We also do not eat a meat dish every single night. No one is starving. I shop at walmart, because its the closest store. I price match from other stores that are far away. We do eat a lot of potato dishes , I buy 40lbs of potatoes for $20 it lasts over a month.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• There are many things you can still plant. Prices are going to continue to rise
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• lol if you're serious about the garden- most of the seed packages tell you what's in season for your climate. and yes, groceries are nuts. i went to the store saturday and spent $130 for 4 people, which isn't bad but i just got the bare essentials.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Grocery prices are insane. I just spent $250 for two kids and two adults, nothing fancy and no meat, at Wal-Mart, no less.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Coupons will get you a supply of packaged food, better route is to use those for your non-food items - cleaning products, soaps and toiletries, garbage bags, etc. For your food, start cooking everything from scratch - if it has more than 2 ingredients on the label, you can ALWAYS make it cheaper yourself. The initial upfront cost might seem high, but you have to remember that you won't use the entire bag of flour or the entire jar of paprika for one meal, and that cost will spread over a dozen or more, depending how much of it you actually use per recipe.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• It's never too late to plant a veggie garden.....there are crops all year round that you can plant and grow, harvest and even start a food storage!
    we have even thought of planting apple trees and I have a raspberry bush going.
    There are tons of things you can do to cut down on food costs.
    1- buy generic
    2- eat left overs!
    3- buy in bulk and freeze meals
    4 make at home!
    5- shop sales....when baking goods are on sale, buy a little extra!
    6- couponing. find a local group or person you know who does it...it's a lot of work, but I think you reap the rewards from it!

We have a family of 6 and we use about $500/month including desserts and goodies, but they're all homemade. I make cookie dough balls for the freezer, cupcakes can be made and put in the freezer in bags for later times....the possibilities are endless!
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 3:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• i agree with homemade. about a year ago, i started baking all my baked goods from scratch. its cheaper to have eggs, flour, sugar, butter, etc on hand to make a dozen different things out of then it is to buy something prepackaged and only use once.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I'm totally going to learn how to coupon!
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 2:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Worst , the packaging is smaller and price higher.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• How do you guys spend so much, honestly. I'm not bashing or anything. I spend $350 a month for 3 adults and two kids, and I am a SAHM so the kids and I eat three meals a day at home. I don't have a garden and almost never use coupons.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2013