Rick Perry Not Running for Re-Election

Any Texas moms with thoughts?

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - Rick Perry, the longest-serving governor in Texas history, says he won't seek re-election in 2014.

The staunch Christian and fiscal conservative said Monday he plans to retire. That sets up an opening for fellow Republican and longtime Texas Attorney General Gregg Abbott in next year's GOP primary.

The 63-year-old Perry ran for president in 2011. He's best known in that campaign for uttering "Oops" during a debate after forgetting the third of three federal agencies he wanted to eliminate if elected.

Before that, Perry stirred controversy by suggesting Texas could secede from the U.S., and for shooting a coyote with a concealed handgun while jogging.

Still, he's considered the most powerful Texas governor since the Civil War because he served long enough to fill every state agency with his loyalists.=

Asked by gdiamante at 2:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Not a Texan, but I sure hope this means he's actually going away and not focusing on the national level. He's set Texas back 60 years in terms of rights and freedom.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• He is not running for President again, either.

Comment by gdiamante (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Thank goodness. He's a complete ass. Here's something he approved of that didn't make national headlines: All child support cases in TX, handled via the courts, require that the non-custodial parent pay the state directly (which then pays the custodial parent days later). The money itself is non-taxable. But, Rick Perry signed a bill that once a year (in Nov. close to X-mas, gee thanks) the custodial parents are charged a processing/handling fee which comes directly out of the funds given to them by the non-custodial parent. The non-custodial parent is not required to make a higher payment to cover the amount. No, the amount is just taken from the custodial parent (80% the time the mothers).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Good!!!!!!!!!

I live in TX but I'm not registered to vote here. Texas needs someone respected on both sides like Julian Castro. Even Republicans in San Antonio like the job he's doing as the mayor.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I'm not a Texan, but I hope that man goes and crawls under a rock. I'd be glad to help him find one.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Not a Texan either, but I did admire his taking a stand against abortion. But, I don't agree with being a career politician. Glad to hear he is making room for new blood. I hear TX is doing well economically. I hope we can all follow suite.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• thank goddess. not a Texan (and no offense, i don't want to be. such a backwards state)
    Fushithedruid

Answer by Fushithedruid at 3:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Not a Texan but so glad he is going to be gone. Maybe now Texas can work on rejoining this century.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• whats good for Texas is good for Oklahoma...glad to see him go!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I'm in Texas. While it's a little interesting (and I do mean little), it will be more interesting to see who runs for the position.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2013