Not sure what to do with my landlord ignoring my calls ANY LAWYERS, REAL ESTATE PROPERTY MANAGERS ETC please help me with some answers! Thanks!

I've lived at this house, renting for 1 1/2 years. Ive always had problems with them, with repairs etc.

Well on the 2nd, we paid our rent. We were given a 5 day notice on the 2nd day, and when i went to pay our rent on the 2nd, there was a $50.00 'service fee' on our account for giving us the 5-day notice.

Our lease Mentions nothing regarding a service fee for this. In fact, the property manager even stated through email that it is not within our lease but she gave me a 30 day notice in the fall. Well, according to my lease as well, and law, any changes in fees or costs must be either submitted to the tenant through regsitered mail, certified mail, or hand delivered and BOTH parties sign. This email she sent, does not qualify as one, therefore, it is irrelevent.

I've spoken with the property manager, and she isnt' budging, i've contacted the owner/broker last week, and she stated that she would have to call me back. That was a week ago tomorrow, and i havent heard anything. I called this morning and my call was ignored.

Each day that passes, this 'fee' gets an additonal 5$ added... its been a week now.

I have no idea what to do.
I don't have a lawyer to contact them..

Any help?!

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

• As a manager, they can give you 3 day/5 day/ 30 day/60 day notices.....different states have different laws, and it doesn't necessarily have to be in the rental/lease agreement.
    Have you been late on payments or anything before? You mentioned a 30 day notice....what's the back story?
    From what you have said, if they are giving you all sorts of crap about paying them, but not willing do to any of the work that it takes to maintain a rental property, then I would suggest you start looking for another place to live....not because you should have to but you can't change how they are going to do business with you....some people are just like that unfortunately.
    As far as your un returned call, I would harass the living heck out of them! Keep calling, daily, if not multiple times a day. Have them commit with and answer as to when they will get back to you. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING YOU DO AND THEY DO OR DO NOT DO!
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 3:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Keep track of what they are charging you, when they did or failed to notify you of anything, any changes, or specific things they are doing that's not stated in the lease.

Everything they are doing seems really steep (2nd day late payment equals 5 day notice?!)....it's crazy. We charge our tennants $5/day it's late. If it becomes a habitual thing, then they are given notices....

I'm sorry this is happening :( Not all landlords are slumlords! :)
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 3:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Is there a legal aid society or a housing authority in your area with info on landlord/tenant issues? Here is the Landlord Tenant Act for your state: http://www.azhousing.gov/azcms/uploads/PUBLICATIONS/Landlord%20Tenant%20Act%20-12-31-12.pdf

Answer by gdiamante at 3:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• The 30 day notice i meant was in arizona, the law is that if they are adding feesor changing.costs, a 30 day nitice of the change has to be given, by certified registered mail or hand delivered. None were done which means, this email they are saying they sent the notice of.charging is 50 dollars is inadmissable.

We have never ever been late on anything. Were great tenants.

This fee is not within our lease and our lease states any changes must be given by reg. Or certified.mail or hand delivered and both parties must sign it. However, inArizona the law states for a year long lease, they cannot do these changes, only for month to month or 3, 6 month terms.

We are NOT oaying this, however i am having a difficult time even gaining.conversation with the owner.

MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Do you have a copy of your lease?
    What was the duration of the rental agreement?
    Do you have a copy of the state, city laws and ordinances governing your area?
    Take post it notes to the relevant areas.
    Take this into the property manager.
    Here if you have a lease for a year (standard) and you do not come in to renew the lease as per the law and you have received written notice to do so, I can either evict you without any further cause or I can mail you a copy of the amended lease and give you one week to comply with the signing or I can file it with the court.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Take the landlord to small claims court.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Yes i jave a copy of my lease and the addendum when we renewed our lease stating all terms are to remain the same.

I have copes of both, aling with the points above highlighted showing the cannot change the terms mid lease. I also have the landlord tenant act printed out eith pointshighlighted that they must ceritify mail any changes.

All have.never been done by them.

We abide by the rules and its frustrating they will not. Ive also spoken to a tenant lawyer, free consultation and he says we should just pay it, but my.thing is, they could continue to do this until our lease ends! Which would add up to 350 dollars!

I just called again and was told she was in a meeting... and i called her.cell earlier and left messages.

MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2013