2-Year-Old Boy Dies in Ceiling Collapse

http://www.fox8.com/wjw-2yearold-boy-dies-ceiling-collapse,0,6311308.story

Do you think there should be legal action? I do.

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Money won't bring the boy back, but it can ensure the safety of other children by making property owners answer for their shoddy repairs and making them pay attention to the risks. It will also hopefully ensure that this family can own their own home and prevent these things from happening to their other kids.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Sometimes bad things just happen-Why does everybody always want to sue! I
    Anonymous

• Yes, I do. When you rent property to someone, you are liable for the structural integrity of the home. If they had repaired this correctly, it would never have happened.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• yes...

and that's why at the bottom of the article, it says
    "The family has now hired an attorney, and they plan to take legal action against the owner of the house."
    Anonymous

• That's terrible. I hate all of the frivolous lawsuits (i.e. woman sues McDonalds because she was burnt by hot coffee) but I don't think this falls into that category.

There was nothing that this family did wrong that caused this tragedy. They were told that the ceiling was fixed, when obviously it was NOT. So, yes, if they choose to pursue legal action, then I think they are completely within their rights.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Im sure the homewoners insurance will pay out.

Answer by gemgem at 12:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• People who sue do NOT always take the money for themselves. They do give it to charities or causes. I take it you not not watch the video as it is clear that the homeowner is at fault along with the company he hired to fix that problem.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Are you kidding me Christine? I can almost guarentee that 95% take the money for themselves.

LIke I said before sometimes bad things happen to good people regardless of who's at fault. Money is not going to bring the little boy back.

Futhermore, this is none of my business to be gossiping about some little boys death. God bless him.
    Anonymous

• Did it sound like I was kidding? I said "People who sue do NOT always take the money for themselves" Anyone in their right mind knows nothing is going to bring back a loved one but their has to be accountability somewhere. This child wouldn't have died if things were done properly. This was not just a tragic mistake or "things happen" thing. This is in the news with the parents, which means they wanted folks to know what happened to their child and hopefully make folks more aware of things getting "fixed" around the home. You say it's none of your business but yet you comment twice.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• This is why people should have homeowners, renters insurance. Let them deal with the "handyman".
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009