Do you agree or disagree with spanking?

I do not believe in spanking my children. I do not want to debate this; you can, but that is not my purpose.
I have always done time outs with my children and it seems to be effective.
Lately, my daughter has been going through a phase or something. I have tried every suggestion that I have gotten and nothing is working.
Last week, I decided to start spanking her. I spank her once, hard, on the bum. I also talk to her and explain why she's being spanked, etc.

She's still not getting it; it's not working- and yes, I'm being consistent.

If you agree with spanking, what do you think about this?

If you disagree with spanking, what are your suggestions?

She's two and a half.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• BTW, it sounded like I've only spanked her once. I've spanked her several times. When I spank her, I only spank her one time, I do it hard, and on the bottom. That's what I meant.
    Anonymous

• i do spank when they are old enough and i always tell my children why they are being disiplined (sp) kids like to push and see how far they can get.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Nope I dont believe in spanking. Not ever. I think there are many other alternatives to spanking. I was never spanked as a child and I will and have not ever spanked my kids.

Answer by gemgem at 12:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• What is she doing exactly?
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I do not spank nor do I condone or endorse it. The more aggressive I see a parents' actions the more aggressive I observe the child's response. It only escalates a situation to make it worse. I like to explain to my toddler why what she did was wrong and what she needs to do in the future, or now, to correct her actions. Not a problem. We also use deep breaths, time ins, and humor. She is not a spoiled brat and listens much better than many of my friends' children who are being spanked. My friends assume that I am strict because they can't see how she listens so well. It isn't fear but respect that helps to shape my child's responses to me.
    Anonymous

• I agree with spankings, it's not the only form of discipline I use but it is effective. Just keep using both methods of discipline.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I usually don't spank mine unless they are going to hurt themselves or others. SOmetimes I will if they are being disrespectful to me or someone else but that is usually it. Sometimes I say since you are acting like a baby and being stubborn you have to come to every room w/ me and sit in the floor and watch Mom do everything. I even do that with my oldest children. They hate it cause it is boring and w/ time ou there is an end but I do that until they can act right.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• OK I think you're looking for advice right? LOL looks like some thought it was just a debate..

I spank. I do it on their thigh, just outside the diaper because the diaper is padding so it kinda defeats the purpose. IDK maybe it works for us because we've popped hands and such since they were 1. they are 3 and 1 1/2 now. It is not dailly, they are great and well behaved, they get a spanking maybe once a week or every other week.

You say "I'm consistant" but you've only been trying spanking for a short time period there fore it's not really consistency. KWIM?

Spanking is not our only means of discipline either BTW. We use time out too. The best time out spot in the house is sitting at our front door. My son can see everything going on but knows he can't get up to join in. My daughter (the younger one) time outs are not effective on her. She volunteers for them LOL

will continue below...
    Anonymous

• OP here. She is doing everything. She has been throwing her food across the room, hitting the dog, going through my purse.
    These are not serious infractions, but she keeps doing them over and over again. In the past, time outs have worked. Now, they have stopped working.
    I do NOT want to spank. I just don't know what else to do because I have tried everything I can think of, everything that others have suggested.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you are right that one week is not very long. All I meant by saying that I'm consistent is that I discipline her every time she does something wrong, I don't let something slide just because I'm tired.
    Thank you for the advice, I will keep reading.
    Anonymous