Need help - growing veggies in containers?

We live in a condo and we have no land to grow our own veggies, and the nearest community garden is forever away. But we do have 2 decks that get sunlight most of the day and I want to grow some stuff. What is best to grow in containers and how do I do it, when should I start? My husband wants to get a hanging tomato plant, but other than that I'm lost. I would like to grow basil and cilantro for sure, and maybe strawberries. Oh, and we live in Oregon.

monroesmum

Asked by monroesmum at 12:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You could grow tomtoes upright if you stack it, an Okra would grow tall, just one or two seeds in a 5gallon 2 mk 2 plants an that would produce allot, blackeyed peas would be short and plentyfull in a sm lg container, cilantro gets kinda tall an could be abundant. Stalk or basket your stawberrys an bring them in, in real cold covering may wk? they will stay green until nxt yr. Pretty much anything you want try,I have different luck with diff. thing at different times. yummy Have fun
    Anonymous

• Tomatoes will grow well, I'm from Washington and I always had tomatoes in pots on our deck before we moved. Remember that Tomatoes are vines and will spread as much as they can, so get a large pot and give them room to spread, whether along the railing or build a teepee of bamboo (or a cage) for them to grow up. Cilantro grows well too, for that I recommend a long rectangular pot, and dont sit it on the ground. If it gets over watered, it will be super gross and slimy (happened to me, lol.) I havent had goot luck growing basil outside, but it grows just fine in my kitchen window.

Peppers grow well in pots too. Check out Sunset magazine - http://www.sunset.com/garden/fruits-veggies/how-to-grow-veggies-in-pots-00400000012149/index.html its a good "localish" resource and they have lots of tips.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 12:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009