God help me, I think I just copped out as a mom.

The kids have been moping all day because they're bored and it's hot outside. They went to the pool briefly, but there's no shade. There are toys strewn from here to next week. I spent a long while in the kitchen boiling, peeling, and chopping eggs, grating cheese, and cutting and frying bacon to fix dinner, and my stepson said, "Didn't we just have this same thing a few weeks ago?" (Well, yeah, we did. But he's on a growth spurt finally, he's literally almost doubled his weight in the last two years and gone from barely taller than I am to well over a head taller. So he's got a freakin' hollow leg.)

Anyway, I copped out. I called my boyfriend and offered to pay for the three of them to see Despicable Me II tonight, if he would just take them and let me have some peace. I feel like a big old flop.

Have any of you ever done this?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 7:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• i wish i could do that sometimes. i dont think it makes you a bad person at all- we all need a break sometimes. and last i checked, it's a free country so you can post as many times a day as you want. us members have the choice of not opening your question if we dont want to.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I have sent DH to him moms house with the kids before! Just so I can have the house to myself. It happens!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I dont think you copped out at all..You didnt smack the kid for beibg ungrateful at dinner, so youre a step ahead of me! Lol
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Not a cop out at all. You got them out of the house before you killed one of them. I do that more and more as my kids get older. Well all run out of rope and/or our last nerve.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Yes, guilty!! it is not a cop out is a survival technique!

Answer by older at 8:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• You are NOT a big old flop. I used to do that as well. Only sometimes I would be really bad at it and have the kids call up their aunt, uncle or grandparent and beg to go over there. We all get to the end of our ropes and I think it's ok to do what you did. I would much rather that than hear about some child being abused or worse all because the mom got to the end of their rope.

Enjoy the peace and quiet.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• That's not copping out, it's called preserving your sanity! lol :p Hope they enjoy the movie & that you enjoy your peace & quiet. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• "Didn't we just have this same thing a few weeks ago?"

He'd hate living in our house. Certain foods play once a week here; which ones depend on the season.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• That is what I call delegating responsibility, lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• LOL people who complain about people posting when they could just NOT read it! Crafty is lacking like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Jul. 9, 2013