Do you think those "never shake a baby" ads really work?

Those public service announcements have been all over the radio lately, enough that my stepson can recite them by heart. Most of them are directed at men, it seems. Do you suppose someone, at the end of his rope with a screaming infant, poised to shake, stops and thinks, "Oh yeah, the guy on the radio this morning said never to shake a baby. I'm supposed to put the kid in a safe place and walk away."

I'm all for the ads, I guess, if they save a baby. But I wonder how effecctive they really are.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 7:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• After my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th children, I had to watch a video before being released from the hospital. With my 5th, they just gave me a lot of papers, part of it was that "period of purple crying" stuff. Let me tell you, that really did save my youngest. She cried...a LOT, especially at night when everyone else was sleeping and I couldn't because of her. I got so frustrated. But I would go into the other room, and read that info over and over again...NONE of my other kids cried like this thing does! She's 7 months old, and it still seems like she does nothing but cry (but at least it is during the day, and the boob now soothes her...).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Not too effective cause people keep doing it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• it didn't stop my ex husband from doing it to our child.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I had to watch a video about it before I was allowed to lave the hospital with my second child. I was bawling hysterically.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I don't think they are that effective but at least they are trying.....maybe someone needs to come up with a better idea.

cassie_kellison, did the father of your 2nd child have to watch the video as well? I'm sure I would have been bawling as well.
    I vaguely remember having to watch some videos before leaving the hospital with my children but my youngest is 12 and I'm getting up there in age. I'm lucky if I remember what I watched on tv last night much less 12 yrs ago.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• i had to watch it before leaving the hospital with my 3rd child, and my 2nd one was the shaken baby. i was having an anxiety attack the whole time they made me watch it
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• They can try, but I really think you can't fix stupid.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Yes. All publicity on that topic is great. Poor babies.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• According to research programs like period of purple crying have done a lot to educate and help parental frustration which is supposed to help stop SBS and other kinds of abuse. Until the hospital had us watch it I really didn't know that it was normal for babies to cry for no apparent reason and the DVD has been put out in seven languages.
    Honestly a lot of us I don't think had ever heard of Shaken baby syndrome before they really started doing all these programs. But a lot of what they emphasize in a lot of the parent training is that it's ok if the baby is crying and if it seems to be for no reason it's ok to put the baby in a safe place for a few minutes while you calm down.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 1:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I doubt that information from a PSA works effectively in the moment to "stop" a person who is at the end of his rope, so you're right that the scenario you supply ("oh yeah, the guy on the radio this morning said...") is unrealistic, but that doesn't mean the information isn't helpful or "doesn't really work."
    The information may help to promote awareness that it's an issue (so it's not "nothing" but actually can be deeply harmful & very tragic) which is positive. No, it doesn't address the issue of how triggering persistent crying can be, but it does raise awareness & insight, which can cause things to track differently.
    I imagine it could depend on how informative the PSA is. Sounds like there are video segments that offer information that is helpful to parents, giving a context for understanding an infant's unexplained crying as something other than an indication of parental failure, or manipulation on the part of the baby.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:12 AM on Jul. 9, 2013