My Son is 2 1/2 Years old the only word he will say is uh and he points to what he wants is SP thinks he may have Apraxia.... Does any other mother with children have this and what are some ways to get them possibly to talk. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

022811-010713

Asked by 022811-010713 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why should he make the effort to talk if you give him what he wants with only pointing and grunting?
    He points and grunts at his cup, You ask him if he wants milk. repeat it over and over and tell him to say milk. Don't give in.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• If he has apraxia he wil need speech therapy in order to learn how to talk. No matter how much you try to force him, it won't work. Have you tried teaching him simple signs (drink, eat, play, etc), it will help cut down on frustration while he learns to talk.

Answer by missanc at 8:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• How does the SLP tell to deal with this?? They should be giving you strategies on how to work with him at home. I worked with a student with dispraxia and I think it's similar... Does he have some cognative issues & and/or a reaction delay?? If so you have to keep those in mind when working with him. Either way get him evaled by a neuropsychologists ASAP, get all the services you can... You will regret it later if you don't accept the help now!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I've did that for about a year now. He seems like he just possibly can't say it.. And then once i wont give him the thing he wants he starts crying. and acting up... I feel as if am a horrible parent because i know what he wants but i wont give it too him.. It's very hard to have a 2 in a half year old not talking..

He tries to talk but he can't and thats Apraxia. Somthing in his mind don't connect with his mouth.. He understands very well but he Can't talk
    022811-010713

Comment by 022811-010713 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Totally agree with missanc on this... It's not the same as having the ability and just not using it. There is way more to it than that!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• He knows how to do the simple signs. But sometimes he Can't remember how to do them so i have to show him again.

SLP said to show him how to say the words he dose not have any other delays other than speech.. What Services do you Think would help?
    022811-010713

Comment by 022811-010713 (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• If that is that case and you have worked with him, have you had his hearing checked or had him tested in any other way?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• What does his dr say about this? Maybe take him to a speech therapist.
    I can understand it being frustrating dealing with a child with speech issues. My boys both had speech trouble and had to have speech therapy from kindergarten to middle school. When my oldest son was little, I was the only one that could understand him and it was very frustrating for him and for me. Apparently that sort of thing is genetic and their father had speech issues as a child.
    Do you have other children? Did you or his father have speech issues?
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Get in touch with early intervention and or the head of SPED for your school system - here that person is called the director of pupil services. Get both involved NOW!! Ask then to get him a nueropsyc eval to see what else he may need!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• At 3 the school system should get involved. Under 3, google early Intervention and your area. They will do a free developmental evaluation and then offer free or very low cost therapy, possibly play groups, etc. Thats your best bet for making sure he has all the services he needs!

Answer by missanc at 8:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2013