Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't know if I'm divorced...hubby gone for years??

Hopefully someone will know where I can check but I got married in 2004 and my husband left me for another woman in 2005. I have no clue where he is no address-phone number nothing. I checked a dozen websites that offered free info on marriages-divorces and it took my credit card and scammed me. does anyone know a website that will actually give me info on if I am still currently married?? I know you can divorce people without them knowing and I'm kinda hoping thats the case in my situation. I have been with my fiance now for almost 2 years and hes really riding me to find out so we can get married before our son is born and I don't have the money to spend hiring an attorney. If you have any info that might help please let me know. THANKS!


Asked by faithsMoM27 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • No you are not divorced if he didn't tell you. If he got one from you while gone he has to file it in the county you were married in or at least give notice in the county you were in so you could contest it. If he knew your address his lawyer would send you a copy of the divorce and what he was asking for in the divorce as well as the date and time of the final disposition. It's the law. They have to try to find you or give a notice of some sort. The judge wouldn't sign it without the lawyer showing proof of trying to notify you. So, no you are not divorced. However, you can file but again your lawyer has to attempt to find him or put a notice in the paper in the city of his last known address. Since you have been separated longer than many legal separations require I doubt if you have a problem. If there are children and/or property (real estate) involved it may take longer. go to (that is 2 v's) Free legal advic

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • I believe that there is a way to get a divorce on the grounds of abandonment. The site says they had to have left and kept their whereabouts secret. Go to legal aid.

    Answer by coutterhill at 12:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • p.s. have you tried a search at,,, or other places like that. I've never been charged for their services and found lots of folks for high school reunions that way.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2009