Is there anything else that I should be doing for her?

My dd (17) came back from her vacation with her father, his gf, their dog and her brothers. Last Sunday (it's been a week and a day) the dog wrapped her rope around my dd's ankle and ran (it all happened very quickly, I'm told) and now my dd has a rope burn on her ankle. Apparently her father in his infinite wisdom thought it was a good idea to just leave it open. Personally, I thought you would want to keep it clean and covered but what do I know? It's not infected and it has scabbed over.

I poured some hydrogen peroxide on it, then put neosporin on a sterile bandage. I wrapped a triangle bandage around it to keep the bandage on and to provide cushion between her ankle and anything else. I'm having her elevate it as much as possible.

Is there anything else I can do to aid the healing process?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 11:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Peroxide is outdated treatment and one of the worst things you can do for it. Peroxide kills the food cells that are needs for healing. If its not infected, scanned over and healing well in its own leave it alone!! The time to cover with neo and a bandage was straight away. Keeping it covered after the scabbing ca make it take longer to heal. Only cover it if something like a shoe will rub on it. She does NOT hAve to elevate it unless there is edema present
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• The good cells... Not food. Peroxide kills the luekocites needed to speed healing. Soap and water is ALWAYS best!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• No offence intended but ... don't you think you're overreacting a little?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 11:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I would probably remove the bandage and let the air get to it. Probably will heal right up.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• At work yes, and use the neo then so the bandage doesn't stick... Use a non-stick pad over gauze though. Let it breath at night... That's one of the best times!! The soap & water I the shower should be enough. She can also soak once a day in warm water and Epsom salts... that can also speed healing. As it heals and the scab comes off she can rub some pure vit. E oil on it to help prevent scaring.

No one likes to see thier kid hurt... You reacted to that... More than some moms would do for thier 17 yr olds!! No worries!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• Sorry on my phone.. Didn't mean to check anon!! That's me above :)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I don't want it getting infected and thought I was doing everything right. It does look like it is healing but I wanted to help that. How am I over reacting?

Thanks, crafty. I will cease and desist the use of hydrogen peroxide. I do think she should keep it covered at night so she doesn't scratch it open in her sleep. And at work since she will have to wear shoes.

Thanks for all your advice.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• By over gauze I meant instead of. Typing on my phone... Sorry for the dropping letters & typos :)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2013

• I did not know peroxide was outdated. What should you use instead out of curiosity. Other than that I was thinking the same as you crafty
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Just plain old soap and water Dard. And even better than that is to irrigate any would with saline for a while then dress with antibiotic ointment for the first few days, then let it get air do the skin doesn't break down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Jul. 9, 2013