Supplies for beginning to use NFP

I've done a bit of watching for fertility signs with trying to get pregnant but we've just never used it for trying not to get pregnant. I'm not a total novice in that I know how to analyse my cervical changes and mucus, and I know how a basal temp works.
What is kind of a complicating factor is that I really don't have any menstrual cycle to speak off. I also know that I only ovulate about 3-4 times a year.

I guess I'm wondering about supplies beyond a basal thermometer,an alarm clock and a pen and paper?
All of the print out stuff seems to be based on a cycle and I have none so how do you work that? Do you just say that you have a 3 month cycle or what?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:14 AM on Jul. 9, 2013 in Relationships

• Hmmm, that's a good question. Have you discussed this with your gyn? I did NFP for about 2 years, then got pregnant after spending 10 days on the opposite coast. The time change threw me and my body for a loop.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 7:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• If you are trying not to get pregnant. One tried and true method is to not have sex. And if you are trying to get pregnant, one tried and true menthod is to just have a lot of sex. Both ways worked for me.

Answer by louise2 at 7:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Have you tried ovulation tests? They are like the sticks you use for pregnancy tests but instead they detect when you ovulate. You can buy them in bulk over the internet or Ebay & they are just paper sticks with no plastic outer holder. They work.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Louise2 I think not having sex is a very fast way to kill your marriage and both of my children took 2 years to conceive not from lack of sex but from the simple truth that when you do not ovulate you do not become pregnant. Also not every time you ovulate will you become pregnant otherwise a lot less money would be spent on IUI.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• ILovemyPaulie Yes I've used those sticks a lot.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I just used a basal thermometer and graph paper. We used it for 2 years with success at not conceiving and then got pregnant when we were ready to.

I would read Taking Charge of Your Fertility to see if she advises what to do in your situation.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• Have you picked up a copy of "Taking Charge Of Your Fertilty" by Toni Wechsler? It's the supply you're missing, and it does NOT rely on a cycle.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• I found OPKs to be completely useless. Took one while charting (using the book I mentioned above); the OPK said I was NOT ovulating when the chart said I WAS. We had sex ONCE in that month, on the chart date. The result of that is sleeping upstairs right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• I got it from the library once but to honest I didn't read it much. You can really tell that that lady doesn't think much of doctors and it got a bit annoying. I'll try to read it again and maybe actually buy it this time.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2013