What is it like having a dental crown fitted?

I have a long dental appointment coming up to have a tooth prepared for a crown. The following week I will have a 10 minute appointment to have the crown fitted.

Does anyone know how sensitive my tooth will be in the week in between, when it is just a stump awaiting the crown?

If you have a crown, how long has it lasted? Has it caused you any problems at all? Are you happy with it?

Thank you for the help!

aquietmo

Asked by aquietmo at 6:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2013 in Health

• Here is what they do for crowns - after the tooth is prepped and impressions are taken, the DDS will put a temporary crown over the prepped tooth to protect it until the permanent crown can be fitted. When having a temp crown be careful not to eat sticky things that could dislodge the temp. (it that happens they do sell some temporary crown cement kits at drug/department stores and you can use this to put the temp back on). As far as fitting the real crown some people are sensitive and find it uncomfortable and others are fine with it. They do not numb for this fitting as you need to be able to feel how the crown fits, how the bite is and have the crown adjusted if needed. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• They put a temporary crown over the area until you get the perm. one. The first day of the temp. and the perm. one the area was a little sensitive if I bit down on something hard. After that it was just like any other tooth.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• A lot will depend on how deeply into the tooth the dentist has to drill to remove all the decay. The deeper he drills, the more sensitive and the longer it will last. The temporary crowns can be a pain. Don't eat anything sticky or gooey or you risk pulling it off and another trip to the dentist to get it glued back on.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• They don't let you leave with a stump. You get a temporary crown that just feels like a real tooth. It's an uncomfortable process though. Not terrible.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Not as bad as you think. Like Keksie said, they give you a temp. crown first, then the permanent one. They last a long time. At least mine have.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• IT depends on how bad your tooth is. Mine was very deep and it really sucked personally for me. I vowed to myself that no matter what I would do my best to not ever need a crown again. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• continued - I have had crowns (bridgework) on my lower front laterals for over 20 years and have never had problems with them. My other crown, on my LL 1st molar is about 2 yrs old and the only time I can tell it is not a 'real' tooth but a crown is if I bite down on certain types of foods, and then I can feel that it is different.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2013