Would you leave your dog inside or outside?

We have 11 yr. old golden retriever she used to be outside at times but for a year now she has been indoors and only goes outside for alittle while to roll in the grass & take care of her business.

Well we are going out of town for a family reunion for 3 days but we are not allowed to take her, I don't care too much leaving her at a kennel (I hear some dogs get sick or feel sad) not to mention we can not afford their price.

So my dh & I decided to rig up the house for her keep her in the kitchen all to herself set up lots of food & water and even put some newspaper with some of her poop & pee on it so she'll go there on the papers. Plus she will be indoors in the AC the only thing will be is she'll be alone:(

Your thoughts ladies, thank u so much!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2013 in Pets

• I would leave her inside.....she is old and she will feel better this way...the only drawback is you will find a mess when you get back...

Answer by older at 7:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• So she's on her own for that whole time? No friends or family to check in on her & let her out? That's just not right. You could get away with doing that for a cat for a day or 2, but not a dog. You need to find another way or skip the trip.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• When we go away we have someone check in at least once a day to see that everything is OK and to give fresh food ... and we only have an outdoor cat! I'd be worried about the stress level because of being alone for your dog. She might think she's being abandoned ...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 7:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• A friend/neighbor you can trust should check in on the dog. If I were going out of town I'd make sure there was money in the budget to put the animal in a kennel. Does your vet board animals? We left our cat at the veterinary clinic while we were out of town once. It was cheaper than a kennel and he wasn't alone.  I would leave the dog inside as per the question at hand. Still someone should check on her.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I would not want to come home to a mess. Can a neighbor or someone else check on her and let her out for bathroom breaks?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Either put her in a kennel or don't go on the trip. That poor baby is going to be cooped up in a kitchen for 3 days. What are you doing about food, just putting a ton out before you leave. She will probably eat it all the first day and go hungry the next two. Don't leave her locked up in the house with no one to check on her, feed her and let her out. That is just wrong.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Dog are not like cats. They NEED human contact and to have to alone like that for 3 days might harm her mentally and emotionally. Kennels are not as bad as people say they are. Call one up, do a walk through and ask LOTS of questions. Most kennels have playtime though out the day, so your dog will get some attention and as long as the shots are up to date, she probably won't get sick.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:12 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Get a petsitter if you can. If you have any neighbors with school-aged kids, you can probably get one to come in for cheap.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• How you could go on a trip knowing that your dog is stressed out is beyond me. Make no mistake, that dog will be stressed having to go to the bathroom in the house if it doesn't usually. It will be stressed to be left locked in the house alone for three days. Not right, you have a responsibility to either board or bring or have a sitter for this animal.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• This question pisses me off!

Would YOU want to be locked up for 3 days?
    What you're considering is wrong and you shouldn't own a pet if locking her up for 3 days with no human contact is okay with you!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2013