Finally! A generic of something my kids actually like! :)

The coupons the cash register prints out after a purchase gave me 2 free boxes of Meijer brand cereal. With nothing to lose, I let my dau pick out some cereals she wanted. She & my son both like them. I'm always looking for ways to save money, so this is a big step for us, since it's rare to find a generic food item that tastes decent.

Have you found any decent generic or store brand foods that you & the kids actually like?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 9, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I buy at least half store brand. There are a few things I'm picky on, but most of the time, if my family doesn't see the container the food came out of, nobody knows the difference.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• We drink store brand milk, eat store brand frozen veggies and cheese, Publix brand Pesto, store brand pasta and use store brand cereal. Oh and Kroger brand Spaghetti Sauce is actually our favorite...

There are things I buy that have to be name brand though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• We buy just about everything we can generic and it usually tastes better than the name brand stuff. Only thing I won't buy generic is TP. My ass is pampered. Literally.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I agree with Kristi. Most of the generic stuff tastes better than the more expensive crap. Don't buy Winn-Dixie brand just about anything though. They suck. I also won't buy generic TP or Kleenex.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I buy most everything genereic- always have

*with the exception of sliced cheese
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Most generics and store brand items are fine with me...however I truly must have Jiff peanut butter.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• We buy lots of generic. For example the big bag cereals. If you take them out of the bag and put them in a container, no one knows what brand it is. Tastes the same.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I buy everything generic except for TP and cheese, I can't stand the waxy processed nastiness. It's not even real cheese gag.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• We love Safeway brand ice cream.. close 2nd to Ben & Jerry's.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I buy lots of generics. I do buy Kraft Mac & Cheese, though, because the store brand of that does taste off to us - we know that it is the same stuff, but somehow that does taste different. Other than that, anything that has a generic, we do generic. But I've noticed that our store (the specific one we shop at) doesn't carry generics of some things - cereal is the most notable.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2013