Fundraising

What are some free church fundraising ideas?

AAP1988

Asked by AAP1988 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• sell crafts
    Have people sponsor church members for a certain event.
    I was making baby quilts for a charity sponsored by our church. I had too much fabric and time. I got sponsors how pledged a certain amount for every quilt I made in one month. They were warned how fast I could quilt them. It is the binding that hung me up , time wise.
    The tops were whole cloth. Each day the finished ones were put on display and they piled up. I got a donation if I would do the quilting after church so others could see it. There was a jar for donations if anyone wanted to drop in coins. In the end there was a pile of quilts for charity. The quilts were then taken to the babies in crisis center.
    This maybe way involved for you but you can go with as many people as you can get or just one. It depends on what you are looking for.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• What do you need the money for? What kind of funds or other resources do you have for start up?
    You may have $0 cash but have access to the church printer (posters/flyer) or a church kitchen and hall.
    Do you have an enclosed/ fenced in area? How many workers are willing to donate their time?
    What kind of hours are they willing to be available?
    This is the sort of thing you need to know so that you can for a plan with all the people who will head up this project.
    Some ideas are baking goodies and having a "social" You will need confirmed donations and plates . napkins, servers, etc.
    One afternoon of summer fun for kids (like a day camp)
    This was especially good before the holiday. Kids made cookies or a craft and parents could shop.
    Contacting local businesses, especially ones in your church. Spread the word to come on a certain day and hand in a coupon for a cookie with your meal and the church gets a certain par
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Depends on how much you need to raise and for what. We've had loose change jars where members of the congregation dropped in the coins that were sitting around their houses doing nothing. When the minister fell on hard times once, we had what we called Pound the Pastor, where everyone donated a pound of something--a pound of quarters, a pound of rice, a pound of hamburger, etc.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• whats a silent auction?

People donate things like gift cards or baskets (generally businesses, so they can get pricey, like a full car detailing or a night at bed and breakfast, down to smaller things like a manicure or dinner gift card - it's tax deductible for the donor), the items are all set up with cards in front of them, and people either sign up for a number that has their info attached, or just use their info when they bid. They write their bid on the card, the next person who wants it writes on the next line with a higher bid, and so on through the night. At the end of the night, highest bidders win the items they bid on.

The other option is people buy tickets, write their name on them, and put in the tickets on the items they want, whoever has the most tickets per item wins it. That way raises more money, but might have less people participate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Also, my school used to raise money through a program with our local grocery store chain. We would sell gift cards in whatever amount they people wanted (rounded to the next $10), then when they used the cards our group got back a percentage of the sales. That way nobody had any money out of pocket, really except what they would normally spend on groceries anyway. Check with your local chains.

Answer by missanc at 12:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• The youth group at my church always made a pretty good bit of money selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts. You can google their website for their fundraising deals.

Answer by missanc at 12:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• My dd's did something crazy for color guard which would work for anything. They (As a group of 3) took one egg and went to the first house and asked the people to buy the egg. Then they went to the next house and asked for an egg. Then they sold it to the next house. They ended up in 3 teams of 3 and made around $600.

Another fundraiser they did was called "I would.....for $1" On a sheet of paper it listed about 20 things the girl would do. EX: Sing their ABC's, stand on their head, gallop like a pony, etc. The person with the money got to choose what crazy thing they wanted them to do. They ended up with about $700 with that one
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• A Feast. Like San Gennaro's in NYC. My Dad ran our Church Feast for 27 years & he made a tremendous amount of money for the Church. Food, Rides, Games, Entertainment.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• whats a silent auction?
    AAP1988

Comment by AAP1988 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Raising money from within the church or from outside? Inside is easy - have people sign up to donate to a bake sale and have it after church one week. Outside, you need to talk to your congregants and see who has what resources available to donate, then go from there. Easiest would be a silent auction or a dinner.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2013