Newborn Baby sleeping on side

My 2 week old son is constantly rolling onto his right side to sleep. They say side sleeping is dangerous & presents a SIDS risk. When I try to roll him over he instantly wakes up & it takes me forever to get him back to sleep. Is it okay to leave him?

amyt1988

Asked by amyt1988 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd slept on her side from the time she could roll over. She's 5 and still sleeps on her side.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• my dd always slept on her side and my ds always on his stomach. I think the baby will be fine.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• He should be fine. If he can roll to his side, then he can likely roll back as well. My first 3 slept on their sides and my last 2 slept on their tummies. Once they start moving, there isn't much you can do to keep him in the position you want them in.

Answer by missanc at 12:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Don't people swaddle anymore?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• He dosnt care to be swaddled. Breaks out of it since day 1
    amyt1988

Comment by amyt1988 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• If I were you I would buy this.

HiSense BabySense V Baby Safe Infant Movement Monitor

They sell it on Amazon.com. I used this for both my babies. It was the only way that I could sleep through the night & not worry if they were OK. It monitors the babies breathing & if they stop for a second or two then it sounds an alarm. Comes with two pads that you put inder the mattress. You need to adjust the placement by seeing where the baby sleeps in the crib the most. It went off once with my Son & he was lifeless & as soon as I picked him up I patted his back & he took a breath. He had no medical conditions either. It is really THE BEST baby purchase I ever made.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Paulie, I had one like that called the AngelCare monitor. I loved that thing!!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• If you are worried, you can buy these foam wedge things to help keep your baby on his back. I used one for my daughter.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I'm paranoid, I'd let it happen as long as I was right there the whole time, otherwise I'd find a compromise- like a wedge where baby absolutely cannot roll over to stomach- which is where the suffocation would happen with no head control.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2013